• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom 6 questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom 6 - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. When you upgrade to subscription, there's also a Lightroom Classic version available.

File Renaming?

les_stockton

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Operating System: Windows 10
Exact Lightroom Version (Help menu > System Info): 6 (it's at home, so I don't know the exact version).

I've been using a program by Breeze Software called Downloader Pro to pull my photos from the card(s) and rename them according to a data/time scheme that I like to use.

The file format desired is YYYYMMDD_HHMMSSxx

where YYYY is the year, MM is the month, DD is the day of the month, HH is the hour (24-hour based), MM is the minute and SS is the seconds. the xx is an arbitrary number to make it unique since my camera doesn't support sub-seconds. The arbitrary number starts at 01 and then 02, etc for that timestamp (just to make it unique.

For example: 20171231_17251401, which is a file taken at 5:25 pm, 14th second of December 31, 2017. And the 01 is there in case I have a second shot taken at 172514, which happens.

I'd like to do this renaming in Lightroom and have created a preset that does it, except that I'm not particularly happen with the xx portion that makes it unique. I'm using a Sequence # in the file renaming format, which starts at 1 but progresses onward even on a different timestamp, rather than just starting back at 01 with the next timestamp.
I'm curious if anyone else has a similar filenaming system and has addressed this issue?

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
I use the same time format and add the 'Filename Number Suffix'. That's the four digits of the original file name. I don't think Lightroom can reset a counter on each time stamp. The best it can do is reset the counter for each import.

Wernfried

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
I wonder why people are always so keen on specific file names of their pictures. You have all information available in Lightroom and metadata, why should I bother on any renaming.

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
One reason is that you do not want different images from different cameras having the same name.

Another reason is that you do not want different images from the same camera having the same name. This can happen depending on camera file naming settings. Eg. Numbers restart after formatting card.

You may have multiple cameras used by different photographers on the same project (eg wedding) and different photographers may be using multiple cameras.

In my case, as well as the above, each image of mine belongs to a project. I wish to have my file name contain my project number.

Finally, files are used in more places than Lightroom and image files may be used in external systems, such as Sharepoint, project management systems, etc, where there may be different file naming conventions.

I also have files which need to be used in parallel files in Lr, but Lr does not recognise these files (Ie Doc, PDF, xl, etc).

If you are shooting for your self and not concerned by any of these factors and working only inside Lr where you can use Lr metadata then you might be less concerned about file renaming. Regardless, it is worth been aware that more than one image may have the same file name, and you do not want to risk overwriting an older , valuable file with a more recent image because they share the same file names.