• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

File renaming on photo import to Lightroom

Status
Not open for further replies.

wsanman

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
I'm trying to import my first batch of photos. According to the Quickstart e-book, if I check the "Rename Files" box there should be a pop-up where you can create a renaming template. I don't see a pop-up. Am I missing something?

You may be using the Add option, which does not have a rename function.

upload_2017-1-13_17-30-39.png

Make sure you understand the difference between Copy as Dng, Copy, Move and Add....

In simple terms, Add will add the images from the location you specify as the source to your catalog. This is a bad idea if the source is an Memory Card or a camera because when you reformat your card you will lose your images. Add will not allow you rename.
Move .... will allow you to Move your images to a location of your choice and add to the catalog. You will have the option to rename.
Copy ... will allow you to Copy your images to a location of your choice and add to the catalog. You will have the option to rename. This is often used when you want to copy images from a memory card to your computer and add the images to your catalog at the same time.

It is worth searching for some tutorials on this.

None of these options will store the image in the catalog, it will only store information about the images in the catalog.

I'm actually using "Copy as DNG". The tutorials I've used so far are this site's Quickstart e-book and a YouTube video by Adobe's Terry White, "An Introduction to Lightroom CC". I am getting the option to rename, but I wanted to create the YYYYMMDDHHMMSS labels as suggested in this site's Quickstart e-book and I'm not getting the pop-up that is mentioned in the e-book where you can create that.

I don't know the eBook, but the pop-up is invoked by clicking on 'Template' and then 'Edit'. That gives you the option to edit an existing template or create a new one.
Thank you. Your instructions were clear, and made me realize I misunderstood the e-book instructions. The e-book is the one I received from Victoria Bampton as my reward for signing up for her email list.

Johan, if you haven't got a copy of my quick start, let me know and I'll send it over.

Which instructions confused you wsanman, as I'll update them for everyone else. Sorry about that!

just for interest: I don't rename (new files) on import as there will be some or lots to delete; but it pays to rename before editing in PS / nik
Not sure why you would want HHMMSS as Lightroom can sort the files into a capture time plus lot of other lists. YYYYMMDDHHMMSS is a l o n g file number
I use YYMM--File 0000# for the month (1701 0022) plus sometimes a subject -- add keyword to find files -- no perfect but works for me most of the time -- well some of the time :mad:

Getting started in LR is a great time to give your system a re-think to how it might be better

just for interest: I don't rename (new files) on import as there will be some or lots to delete; but it pays to rename before editing in PS / nik
Not sure why you would want HHMMSS as Lightroom can sort the files into a capture time plus lot of other lists. YYYYMMDDHHMMSS is a l o n g file number
I use YYMM--File 0000# for the month (1701 0022) plus sometimes a subject -- add keyword to find files -- no perfect but works for me most of the time -- well some of the time :mad:

Getting started in LR is a great time to give your system a re-think to how it might be better
Ian,

Do you reset the file number for each month to start at 0000 or 0001? If so, how? Do you have some automated way to do this?

Phil

Ian,

Do you reset the file number for each month to start at 0000 or 0001? If so, how? Do you have some automated way to do this?

Phil
Off the top of my head I can see an easy way to do this:

You wait until the next month (at least) to rename images.
You select all the images shot in the previous month.
Apply a renaming preset with a sequence.
(A sequence will reset every time to zero.)

BTW the fact that one may delete images should not dissuade anyone from renaming on import or just after.
After a culling session from a days shoot I just select all for the day in question and rerun the renaming preset.
The fact that, if one uses a sequence number in the preset, some images will end up with different sequence numbers than before is not an issue!
It is a bonus!
In a dated folder with 46 images after culling the images will be sequenced 0001 to 0046 with no gaps.
If I see a gap at a later time then I immediately know that an image is AWOL for one reason or another.

Tony Jay

Ian,

Phil
reset manually each month ... to keep files numbered correctly I find the last re-named file and select all from there . Remember I'm only a happy snapper these days but when I first see the files I usually become an unhappy snapper until I get rid of the rubbish . We also seem to see the bad apples first and judge all by those
I found the LR renaming system a pain after several years of using bridge

You wait until the next month (at least) to rename images.
You select all the images shot in the previous month.
Apply a renaming preset with a sequence.
(A sequence will reset every time to zero.)
the drama with rename all in one hit at the end of the month is TIFF and PSD files are treated as a different file so the PSD would become 1234 and the dng 1235 . It gets messier if the are a number of psd and tiff file from the one dng. If renamed prior to being sent to PS the PSD will be 1235-1 or however your system is set . There are times I do renumber of PSD files so I have 1235-1 1235-2
Just wish we could rename the file by clicking on it as per win / bridge

rename a single file : for those who don't know as I didn't for a long time you can rename as per the screenshot --- just click -- type -- done
Untitled-1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back