• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • 18 October 2022 It's Lightroom update time again and there's a new AI-based Masking tools and a new Content-Aware Remove Healing tool, as well as smaller features, new cameras, lenses and bug fixes! See this blog post for Lightroom Classic and this blog post for the Lightroom Cloud Ecosystem changes.

File Renaming on Import

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I've done a search and didnt find anything.
Apologies if this is simple, my post Covid fogged brain won't grasp it.
Wanting to rename files on import
I'm up to image count #12,494. I'm wanting to retain the original image # in the new file name.

I'm wanting to start the next import at #12,495, and to increase by 1 for each new image imported

I'm wanting to retain this file name format, and using the filename template editor set up a filename Z9_012495.NEF, where Z9_ is permanent, and NEF is the original filename extension;
starting at 012495, and incrementing by one for each image file automatically on each import, and on each new import if that is possible.
(ie next import of 3 files increments to Z9_12498.NEF; another import at a different day/time of 5 files increments to Z9_12503.NEF without me having to manually amend the starting filename in the sequence. (refer pp 36-40 FILE RENAMING LRC-FAQ)??
Thank you!!

Solution
Jumping in!
Click the drop-down menu at the end of the Preset box-
2022-05-28 14_22_22-Filename Template Editor.jpg

And at the very base of the menu you will see the "Save...."-
2022-05-28 14_22_09-Window.jpg
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic
As far as I know, there is no token that can be used in a file rename template that "remembers" the previous high water mark for that template and continues from there. There really should be, alas I'm not aware of one.

The best you can do (baring better ideas from otheres) is to imbed the original file number sufix from the camera behind some "constant" digits. The downside is that each time your camera goes from 9999 to 0001 you'll need to adjust the constants in the tempate. For example "Z9_01{Filename number suffix",. Another optuion is to use Custom text or Shoot tpoken's instead of constants (Eg: Z9_{Custom Text}{Filename number suffix) and then remember what leading digits to use each time you use the template (more prone to error).

Yes once you create a template you can save it. You can also use saved templates afterwards with F2 key.

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Thank you :)
Referring to LRC - FAQ on page 39, referring to tokens the image token suggests:
Image # increases with each individual
photo you import. The first photo is set to 0,
then the next is 1, etc.
Both Import # and Image # have starting
numbers set in Catalog Settings > File
Handling tab, with Import Number used for
Import # and Photos Imported used for Image
#. (Figure 3.34)
new template is:
Z9_{image # (00001)>}
and I've set Photos imported to 12,495 as the starting point
I guess I can import some images in two separate imports and see what happens...??

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Yes once you create a template you can save it. You can also use saved templates afterwards with F2 key.
Thanks.... how do I save it? I have the filename template editor on screen; there is no Save button,
If I open the Import dialog and in rename file click edit the template as I have completed it appears, but I guess if I create another renaming template I am going to lose it??
Sorry - Stupid Covid!!!

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Thank you :)
Referring to LRC - FAQ on page 39, referring to tokens the image token suggests:

new template is:
Z9_{image # (00001)>}
and I've set Photos Imported to 12,4956 as the starting point
I guess I can import some images in two separate imports and see what happens...??

OK To test my theory:

using the above approach:

1. import 16 images to a new folder, using the template above, and setting the starting number @ 12,496 for "Photos Imported"
2. second import: 2 new images into a new folder using the same approach as above, did not change the starting number in "Photos Imported"

Result:

Folder 1: images Z9_12,496.NEF to Z9_12511.NEF
Folder 2: images Z9 _12512.NEF to Z9_12513.NEF

So LRC remembered the last number in the image filename sequence from the first import and started at the next number in the sequence for the second import. WINNING
The only thing I didnt do was shut down LRC between imports but I assume that would not impact....

What is the point of this numbering scheme ?
Is it just to provide simple and unique names, or is it to represent the actual capture sequence ?
Will it come unstuck if you start importing pictures from a second camera ?
Do you need to maintain a link back to the original photo files, or a clone of them, such as you might have if you back up camera cards before you imported them into LrC ? (e.g. on longer outings I copy my camera cards to portable drives in the field.)

A couple of things you might want to check on or test for...
1. I think it is possible that LrC can import files out of the capture sequence, in which case the numbers it assigns will not be in the capture sequence.
2. It may also be possible that a number will be reused if the last imported file(s) have since been removed from LrC before the next import.

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
What is the point of this numbering scheme ?
Is it just to provide simple and unique names, or is it to represent the actual capture sequence ?
Will it come unstuck if you start importing pictures from a second camera ?
Do you need to maintain a link back to the original photo files, or a clone of them, such as you might have if you back up camera cards before you imported them into LrC ? (e.g. on longer outings I copy my camera cards to portable drives in the field.)

A couple of things you might want to check on or test for...
1. I think it is possible that LrC can import files out of the capture sequence, in which case the numbers it assigns will not be in the capture sequence.
2. It may also be possible that a number will be reused if the last imported file(s) have since been removed from LrC before the next import.
there are a number of options when choosing how to rename the images on import. One is to use date / time. However I use continuous shutter at up to 20 FPS (Im a sports ptotog) so the date / time option isnt feasible. I chose the proposed method as Im a bit of a fan of the KISS principle.
I do use a second camera, it has its own import presets.
I dont retain a copy of the original files, however with the method I use the last 4 digits of the file name will refelct the original.
Thanks for the two gotchas... will keep an eye out for sure. I never delete images from the camera or from LRC. As a sport tog a client will often ask for all images of a subject, there may be 5 on my website and another 20 on file.
Thanks for the post Alan, apologies for the slow response, I wasnt ignoring you :)

Lightroom Experience
Power User
there are a number of options when choosing how to rename the images on import. One is to use date / time. However I use continuous shutter at up to 20 FPS (Im a sports ptotog) so the date / time option isnt feasible.
What I think is the perfect solution is to use 'YYYYMMDD-HHMMSS-OriginalFileNumberSuffix', with or without the dashes. No matter how fast your bursts, this will give you a unique file name, based on capture date/time.

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
What I think is the perfect solution is to use 'YYYYMMDD-HHMMSS-OriginalFileNumberSuffix', with or without the dashes. No matter how fast your bursts, this will give you a unique file name, based on capture date/time.
Thanks Johan. Yes!! It will give me unique file names. I think I will stick with the current naming system for now, it produces a nice simple image naming convention which, when images are exported to Zenfolio for clients, it doesn't result in them having to navigate a long image name. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.