• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

File Rename Issue with date

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Operating System: Win 10 Pro
Exact Lightroom Version (Help menu > System Info): LR Classic (latest)

I have renumbered my imported phone photos due a clash of numbers. My rename is simply Phone_{Date}_{original file name}. However, I noticed that for many photos the date inserted in the name is not the capture date but some later date when the metadata was changed. Is there anyway of forcing it to use the capture date, or are there any other work-arounds (other than individual name changing).

Hmm. Sometimes Lr uses that date if it can't find capture date. Are you sure the image has a capture date in exif in the proper place? Some of my iPhone images come from apps that strip it.

You might have to look at the image in Lr and then use "edit capture time..." to correctly set the date, then see if the rename works as expected.

LR definitely recognises the capture date. In fact it is because LR was showing the capture date that made me realise the file numbering was awry.

There was a capture date bug fixed in today's 7.1 release, so that would be a good place to start.

In case this is relevant, since video files have no standard way of recording capture date (or much of anything else, darn it all), I've noticed that when I rename videos within LR involving the capture date, what LR assumes is the capture date is often not so, and it treats videos captured by different devices differently (that's not an Adobe issue, I don't think...it's that different devices record the capture date differently).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back