• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

File Name filter doesn't seem to be working

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrpicasso

Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic 12.0.1
Operating System
  1. macOS 12 Monterey
When I try to filter in the Lightroom Classic (12.0.1) library tab on my Mac, the same images are shown despite entering text filter for 'Filename' 'Doesn't Contain' 'JPEG'" when trying to not see the files named as 'ARW+JPEG' as shown in the attached screen shot. (Same lack of filtering if '+JPEG' is used). Note that I set up the metadata Default view on the right to show all the filename associated fields and I can see that the Preserved Filename, Original Filename and the Filename Copy Name fields do not contain 'ARW+JPEG', however the File Name field does which is what the file is named on the hard drive. If I set the filter up to 'Contains' 'JPEG', the result is "No photos match the filter".

When I search in the hard drive folder containing these image files there are none named with 'ARW+JPEG'. And toggling the check next to the Lightroom preferences setting of "Treat JPEG files next to Raw files as separate photos" doesn't change this behavior. And I do not see any Stack options set for this series of photos (thinking that maybe it's due to a JPEG and ARW file being stacked with each other.) One other detail is that these files all have an xmp sidecar file in the folder along with the ARW files.

Is the Lightroom text filter not using the File Name field that is shown in the Info and Default Metadata panel, and instead is using one of the other fields maybe the original File Name? Or am I not doing something correctly to get the text File Name filter to show/not show the 'ARW+JPEG' named files?
I'd appreciate any thoughts about what is going on and how I can filter for these ARW+JPEG files.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-11-26 at 2.21.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-26 at 2.21.52 PM.png
    727.7 KB · Views: 45
Solution
1669519216845.png

1669519249424.png

This is LR's way of telling you the raw file MBeggs_20071016_2-32.ARW has an associated JPEG (MBeggs_20071016_2-32.jpg) on disk. That JPEG isn't actually in the catalog, since you imported the .arw with the option Treat JPEG Files Next To Raw Files As Separate Photos unchecked.

It's confusing that the File Name field in the Metadata panel shows "+JPEG" -- prior to LR 11 (when the Metadata panel was substantially modified) it didn't show "+JPEG". Who knows whether this was an intentional change or a mistake the programmer made while while modifying the Metadata panel. (There's no point in filing a bug report, because Adobe will just label it "as designed", whether it was intentional or not.)

In these...
1669519216845.png

1669519249424.png

This is LR's way of telling you the raw file MBeggs_20071016_2-32.ARW has an associated JPEG (MBeggs_20071016_2-32.jpg) on disk. That JPEG isn't actually in the catalog, since you imported the .arw with the option Treat JPEG Files Next To Raw Files As Separate Photos unchecked.

It's confusing that the File Name field in the Metadata panel shows "+JPEG" -- prior to LR 11 (when the Metadata panel was substantially modified) it didn't show "+JPEG". Who knows whether this was an intentional change or a mistake the programmer made while while modifying the Metadata panel. (There's no point in filing a bug report, because Adobe will just label it "as designed", whether it was intentional or not.)

In these instances, LR also shows that the raw file has a JPEG sidecar via the Sidecars field in the Metadata panel:

1669519963399.png

There's no built-in way to search for these raw+JPEG pairs. You could use the Any Filter plugin to find them:

1669520258049.png

Solution
toggling the check next to the Lightroom preferences setting of "Treat JPEG files next to Raw files as separate photos" doesn't change this behavior.
When you enable that option, it will only affect subsequent imports.

John,
Thank you! You've solved the mystery. I now see files in that folder for ARW, JPG, and xmp. And using the Any Filter plugin as you show with the file type and sidecars is allowing me to separate them out and remove those I consider duplicates and keep the originals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back