• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

File Name Conflicts: Does LR store photos in folders like LRC stores originals? I have photos that are different with the same name

Status
Not open for further replies.

bill.fischer5

Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
  2. iOS
I do Most of my work on Classic (LRC). I put some collections on the desktop/mobil (LR) for my wife to help me process. I am also trying to find and organize photos that are on old Hard drives and SD cards. Fortunately when I have been importing them into LRC I put them in different folders. I had not realised that there would be more than one photo with the same original file name. This has not cause a problem in LRC. I am concerned that this could be a problem when synced to LR. I am not ready to assign unique names to all this photos in the Lightroom's. As I search through old photos I will need to know if I have already imported a photo into LRC.

What happens if I sync photos to LR that have the same file name as ones that are already in LR but are not the same picture? For that matter; what happens if I sync a collection that contains a pair of photos that are different, but with the same name rout file name. Will there be a conflict? Or will the folder path let LR know they are different?

The file name is almost irrelevant in Cloudy Lightroom's storage method as it uses a unique internally-generated ID.

But it is relevant when you sort or export or filter.

Thank You John: I do not plan to do much sorting, filtering or exporting in LR. I do that in LRC . I sync collections to LR desktop for my wife to cull and do some editing in the same catalog on here Imac. That way we can work independently in the same catalogue but on different collections. I have encountered some of the issues you worn about with these files in LRC. I have found that using multiple filters gives me most of the sorts I want. I have found that most of the the duplicate file names are on photos taken at different time or with a different camera. When that does not not work I just manually correct the sort. I have not notice a problem exporting these from LRC. I should check that. I can do something with the export file name to work around that.

So From you answers i infer that I can go ahead and sync photos in collections to LR that may have the same file name on a different photo.

Do you anticipate any other problems given the way I use LR?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back