• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

File moving from one external to another external drive Sync problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
I seem to have created a problem for myself. I have moved my Lightroom folder from one hard to another via Lightroom but I now have a message that not quite sure what to do about. It seemed like a fairly straight forward thing to do until I got this message. I think it has to do with synced images to Lightroom mobile on my iPad. I have a call into Adobe but I might be waiting a long time or not get an answer I can use.
I am on an a MacBook Pro late 2013 using Lightroom Classic 8.3.1
Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 4.20.55 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 4.21.05 PM.png

The volume listed probably does not have write permissions since it appears to be a special purpose folder. It has nothing to do with Lightroom mobile or Lightroom Classic.
Can you explain why you have this /SEAGATE/RECOVERED DATA Folder? And why join are trying to copy Lightroom data files into it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Actually, it does have something to do with Lightroom Mobile, indirectly. The first message indicates that you have set the destination for synced images (images downloaded from the cloud by Lightroom Classic, like images you took with your phone) to SEAGATE/RECOVERED DATA, but Lightroom does not have write permissions for that folder. The second screenshot I have never seen before, but I assume it means Lightroom tries to sync one of such images, but can't find it in that location.

I want to thank you for your reply. I did figure it out. I need to go into Lightroom Preference, Lightroom Sync Tab, Specify a location for the Lightroom Synced images.
Screen Shot 2020-10-17 at 3.08.12 PM.png

I'm on a major revision of my LRClassic workflow... After years of creating many separate catalogs, I'm FINALLY going to bite the bullet and COSOLIDATE INTO ONE MASTER CATALOG! I've downloaded the excellent 3-part series on how to do this, posted by the Queen, but I still don't understand a couple of things. In my situation, I want to consolidate the LR data files for each photo, but I also want to consolidate (i.e. move) the original files to a new "consolidation" drive. The "move" is what I don't yet understand how to do. Thanks!

I'm on a major revision of my LRClassic workflow... After years of creating many separate catalogs, I'm FINALLY going to bite the bullet and COSOLIDATE INTO ONE MASTER CATALOG! I've downloaded the excellent 3-part series on how to do this, posted by the Queen, but I still don't understand a couple of things. In my situation, I want to consolidate the LR data files for each photo, but I also want to consolidate (i.e. move) the original files to a new "consolidation" drive. The "move" is what I don't yet understand how to do. Thanks!

Designate the largest catalog as the “master” catalog. All other catalog files will be merged into it. Once you have everything in one catalog, you can, using the folder panel drag and drop folders from where they are to the new consolidation drive. This will move your images and folders to the new drive.

You can also move folders outside of Lightroom BUT you will need to update Lightroom of the new path because the catalog will be out of sync with the moving around outside of Lightroom. I recommend the drag and drop method

Thanks, Cletus. This involves several drives! (4!). It has always bothered me that I don't really KNOW where my photos are on a given drive! So, how would I go about the "drag&drop?"

Thanks, Cletus. This involves several drives! (4!). It has always bothered me that I don't really KNOW where my photos are on a given drive! So, how would I go about the "drag&drop?"

Once consolidated, the 4 volumes will show up in the Folder panel. You then may need to click on the (+) on the folder panel header to add a parent folder of the new (and at this time empty) consolidated volume. Simply drag the parent folders from the old volume to the parent folder on the consolidated drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back