• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

File Management advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlondon

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic version: 10.3
Operating System
  1. macOS 11 Big Sur
Hi,

I'm finally getting around to moving my old Aperture library (~150,000 images) into Lightroom Classic and need a bit of advice regarding file management.

Here is my scenario:
- All of my images (from my current LR catalog and my Aperture library) were in a PHOTO_MASTERS folder
- Over 15 years or so, there are other "extra" files in the PHOTOS_MASTERS folder that are NOT part of my current LR Catalog, nor part of my Aperture Library.
- I consolidated all the masters from my Aperture Library into Aperture, so they are no longer in the PHOTO_MASTERS folder
- Now in my PHOTO_MASTERS folder I have all the images from my LR Catalog, AND the extra images that are not in my LR Catalog.
- I want to separate these two groups of files so that I can review the extra images and decided what to do with them.

How can I separate the files that are part of my LR catalog from the remaining "extra" files?
I've reviewed all the options available in LR, but seems they are only useful for finding missing files, not extras!

Thank you...

How can I separate the files that are part of my LR catalog from the remaining "extra" files?
Go to “All Photographs”, expand all stacks and then select all images with Cmd-A. Now you can let Lightroom create a subfolder in PHOTO_MASTERS and move all selected photos into that subfolder. That will leave the ‘extras’ photos in the main folder.

Hi Johan,
Now you can let Lightroom create a subfolder in PHOTO_MASTERS and move all selected photos into that subfolder.
Do you mean by just dragging them in to a new sub-folder?
If yes, then one problem with this is that my PHOTO_MASTERS is organized by Year/Month (ie: 2021/01, 2021/02, etc), so if I drag everything to a new folder I will loose my hiercachy.

That's what I meant, but now you suddenly add this information about dated subfolders. If your Lightroom photos are organised by dated subfolders, how are the 'extras' organised? I assume Lightroom made those dated folders, so the images that are not in Lightroom are not in those folders? If so, isn't that enough to tell them apart?

but now you suddenly add this information about dated subfolders.
My apologies for not mentioning this earlier.

If your Lightroom photos are organised by dated subfolders, how are the 'extras' organised?
There are extra files in many of the dated folders. They aren't really organized at all...

I assume Lightroom made those dated folders, so the images that are not in Lightroom are not in those folders?
No, I've been using this dated folder structure for more than a decade (hence the "extras").
The images that are not in Lightroom ARE in many of the same folders as the Lightroom images. Hence my original question...

(If there were only a few files, I would just figure all this out manually, but unfortunately over the years I've accumulated a few thousand files that are homeless, hence my need for an automated system to separate the two groups.)

I think what you could do is the following:
  • In Lightroom select all images and put them in a new collection (to be sure)
  • Now synchronize the most top level folder (inclduding subfolders), this wil bring in all the unorganized stuff.
  • With the special collection 'Previous import' you can select all these foto's and put them in another new collection ('to sort out') and/or move them to another folder (just drag them)
But before you do this, let one of the guru's confirm this (and be sure you have made a back-up )!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back