• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

File could not be moved to the selected destination

Status
Not open for further replies.

RitaM

Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
Help please.. I have 4 files in a folder. I need to move them to another folder and they won't move. I get an error "file could not be moved to the selected destination". I also tried copying the files to another external hard drive, and importing them again.. but it's grayed out and won't let me re-import them. I also tried to send them to the trash by X'ing them, and "deleting rejected photos" and it won't let me. Tia for your help!

1) Are the files marked as "missing" in LrC? (and "!" in the upper left corner of the preview in grid view)

2) when you select on or more of these files in LrC and hit the backspace or delete key you say it won't let you. Are there any pop up windows or error messages? If so please take screen shot or post the text of the message.

1) Are the files marked as "missing" in LrC? (and "!" in the upper left corner of the preview in grid view)

2) when you select on or more of these files in LrC and hit the backspace or delete key you say it won't let you. Are there any pop up windows or error messages? If so please take screen shot or post the text of the message.
Hi! Thank you for trying to help! No the files are not missing. I was able to put them in a collection which is all I need I guess to edit and deliver them.. but idk why this is happening. Could it be that I locked them in camera (Nikon d750)? Also I was shooting in Raw & Jpeg so it says Sidecar Files JPG under the File Name. (I usually just do raw, but experimenting with a few things.. high school sports game).

Here are the messages. Thank you!!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-26 at 8.28.08 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-26 at 8.28.08 AM.png
    30.1 KB · Views: 116
  • Screen Shot 2021-02-26 at 8.29.23 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-26 at 8.29.23 AM.png
    46.7 KB · Views: 127
I'm not a Mac person, but it sounds like a permissions thing. As you are trying to move the images to "another folder" (which I presume is not the trash) getting an error message saying there's a problem moving an image to trash implies that the selected destination folder already has a file with that name which it is trying to move to the trash. so the one you're moving can be put there in its place. Again, I'm really guessing here. But see if the destination folder already has a D75_7148.NEF file and if so, see if you can rename, move, or trash it with Finder. Beyond that, I'll leave it the Mac folks to go through permissions issues.

I'm not a Mac person, but it sounds like a permissions thing. As you are trying to move the images to "another folder" (which I presume is not the trash) getting an error message saying there's a problem moving an image to trash implies that the selected destination folder already has a file with that name which it is trying to move to the trash. so the one you're moving can be put there in its place. Again, I'm really guessing here. But see if the destination folder already has a D75_7148.NEF file and if so, see if you can rename, move, or trash it with Finder. Beyond that, I'll leave it the Mac folks to go through permissions issues.
thank you for the suggestion. I duplicated the file so it has a new name. It let me check them, but then still would not import them. here is the error (the hard drive isn't full).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-28 at 9.42.40 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-28 at 9.42.40 AM.png
    49.8 KB · Views: 135
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back