• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Import File conflicts importing my Mac photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

bill.fischer5

Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
ightroom Classic version: 10.1.1 [ 202101041610-8c69aa4e ]
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
I have used Apple Mac photos for many years. I would like to import all of the photos in my apple library. into Lightroom Classic (LRC). In the past I have imported some of my Apple photos into my LRC catalogue. So I already have some of the same Mac originals in my catalogue. My LRC originals are poorly organized.. They are scattered into many seperate directories and drives. What happens if I end up with the same original in two different locations. Also since I have pictures taken over the past 20 years shot with different cameras there may be fine names that are duplicates but not the same picture. Can anyone suggest a workflow

I have used Apple Mac photos for many years. I would like to import all of the photos in my apple library. into Lightroom Classic (LRC). In the past I have imported some of my Apple photos into my LRC catalogue. So I already have some of the same Mac originals in my catalogue. My LRC originals are poorly organized.. They are scattered into many seperate directories and drives. What happens if I end up with the same original in two different locations. Also since I have pictures taken over the past 20 years shot with different cameras there may be fine names that are duplicates but not the same picture. Can anyone suggest a workflow

File names are not important. The filesystem will not let you put two files with the same name in the same folder. It will happily let you put two files with the same name in different folders.

I recommend that you import using one of the automatic date named folder schemes. This will separate files shot with the same name on different dates in different folders and the likely hood of shooting with different cameras and the same file name is almost nil. On the import dialog is an option to not import duplicates. Use it. Lightroom is very good at detecting duplicates already in the catalog inventory even if they have different names. This will help for preventing you from re-importing images that are already cataloged.

If that means you have a mixture of subject folder names and date named folder, don’t worry. Folders are not important to Lightroom Organization either. You are going to use Collections and and keywords to organize your images.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back