• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • It's Lightroom update time again! Just the usual new cameras, lens profiles and bug fixes. See this blog post for Lightroom Classic and this blog post for the Lightroom Cloud Ecosystem changes. If you use a custom monitor profile on macOS, note that the Classic performance bug is not yet fixed.

File already exists in this location

RitaM

Lightroom Version
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
Hello! I am adding all of my older photos to my Lr Classic catalog. My folders organized by year, then date. I have one "old folder" of photos imported from an old laptop (almost 5000 photos). Many but not all of them are already in Lr. When I go to move them and they are already in the folder by date I get the message "file already exists in this location" and the only option is OK. How do I go about deleting the duplicates? I just want to make sure if I delete them out of "old folder" I won't delete the same file that is in the correct folder. Thank you for your help!

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
IIRC, Lightroom will move only the selected images into the new folder that don’t already exist in that folder. Left behind will be the file that the operating system rule would not allowed to be moved. You can test this out with a small subset of the folders that you want to move.

RitaM

Can I then delete the "old folder" files that are left behind and it won't remove the duplicate photos that are in the proper file? thank you!

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Can I then delete the "old folder" files that are left behind and it won't remove the duplicate photos that are in the proper file? thank you!

Yes, and if the folder is empty of other files, you can delete the source folder as well

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk