• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

February Update - V 8.2 fails at 75%

Status
Not open for further replies.

WesternGuy

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic Version 8.1 [1200465]
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I have tried three times to update Lightroom to version 8.2. I use the Creative Cloud assistant to do the update. The update fails at the 75% mark every time. Any insight on how to make this work properly will be greatly appreciated.

Ron

One of the new features (Enhanced Details) requires Windows 10 be running update 1809 (October 2018) or later. This may be preventing the install if you don't have the required update.

Ed

This may be preventing the install if you don't have the required update.
Or not. I had no trouble installing 8.2 on my Windows 10 system (Version 1803).

How does the update fail? Is there an error message, or does it just stall at the 75% point?

Ed, if it will not install because of the update, then that may be the case as I have my "updates" on a time delay of about 15 days so I don't get burned by "crap" within the updates, which does happen.
I have Windows 10 Pro Version 10.0.17134.
Hal, it just seems to stall at the 75% point. I am wondering if it is a disk space space problem. How would I tell? How much space does Lightroom Classic CC need?

Ron

It should install ok on earlier LR versions. I'd try cancelling the install, reboot and then start over.

Cancelled install, Restarted and then started again.

Update failed again at 75%. I followed a message track and got this - (blue colour is mine for separation)

Exit Code: 127
-------------------------------------- Summary --------------------------------------
- 1 fatal error(s), 0 error(s), 0 warnings(s)

FATAL: Error occurred in extract of package (Name: AdobeLightroom-mul Version: 8.2.0.1204643). Error code: '12
7'

Not sure what the "Error code: '127' is. Can someone tell me or suggest where to look for the answer. Thanks.

Ron

Probably easiest to contact Adobe support and let them fit it, assuming you've checked you have plenty of drive space available. (Most say at least 10%)

10% of what is the question. How much HD space does V. 8.2 require to install? If I can find out that number, then maybe I can determine if I have enough HD space for the installation. Does anyone know where to find that out? TIA.

Ron

Ignore whether you have enough files to squeeze the installer files in. If you're that low, there's not enough space for the operating system to breathe. 10% of the overall disk size is usually the bare minimum, at least 20% recommended.

The problem I have is knowing which folders/files can be deleted, which can be moved to another drive, etc. Is there a web site that will tell me which files have to remain on the C drive, for example, and which can be moved to another drive. Any help with this will be greatly appreciated.

Ron

The only folders/files I keep on C drive is the operating system and programs. Because I've read LR catalog works better off the C drive its housed there too. All photos, music, documents, etc are stored on separate internal or external working drives. I say working because I work off of them and they are backed up to a NAS.

I learned many years ago, if you have to do a fresh install (or C drive crashed/corrupted), it was a piece of cake to wipe the system, install the OS/programs and repoint the programs to the appropriate data.

Ed

Ed, thanks for the information. I will be looking at doing that as well. I just have to figure our how to organize the various folders as I take them off the C: drive. I might buy a separate HD (maybe 8TB) and move them all to that drive. At least then, they will all be on one drive. My current image folders and catalog are stored on an external 8TB HDD and backed up to an NAS - I also have a separate HDD off line for their backup as well. I think I might do that with some of my other files as well. I am concerned about how to tell the applications where to find their data files/folders if I move them off the C: drive. For example, how do I tell OneNote where to find its files if I move them off the C: drive?

Ron

Windows does have a clean up command.
From settings, go to
System>Storage
and click 'free up space now'
Choose what you are OK with deleting. This won't move data files to another drive for you.

By and large, anything in the Windows directory, the Programs directories and the ProgramData directory had better stay put. Don't attempt to move the temp directory, but you can empty it (current open files won't delete). Users is a fixture too. Others, only move them if you know what they are.

Last edited:
Ron, As you know, after you set the path to your photos in LR, it always opens to that location unless you need to change it. Most programs should work the same way. Same as when you the "save as" function in Word and Excel and select your location. Next time you create a new doc and select save as, it defaults to last saved location.

Another thing I always set is to have the browser ask me where to save files so it doesn't dump them in some default download folder. When I click to download some new software or something, it defaults to my last saved location on the external, but doesn't download until I tell it too. This gives me chance to change the folder or create a new one.

I don't use OneNote but did a quick search. There's some pros and cons with changing the data location depending on if you always work off the same PC with them or if you access it from multiple devices. My thought is it may best to just keep your current configuration with OneNote. However, OneNote apparently makes automatic backups but they're to same drive as the original files. MS recommends to consider changing the default backup location in case of disaster. Here's the article on how to do that: Change the default storage location for backup files

Ed

Thanks to all for their advice, it will take me a bit to digest it all. In the meantime, I have upgraded my C: drive to a larger drive and presumably, the updates to Lightroom and Photoshop should now work.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back