• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Library module Family/Friends Hierarchical Keyword structure and Keywording with Facial recognition

Status
Not open for further replies.

trustinhc

Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic version 10.3
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I have spent time creating a text file for building a family and friends hierarchical keyword structure with actual names of family and friends. I plan to import this into Lightroom Classic as a prebuilt keyword list. I have been testing this out in Lightroom as I am using Lightroom with only a small subset of my photographic images as a way to learn before I begin to load all my data at which time I will use a new catalog. At the same time I have been learning to use the really neat facial recognition feature of Lightroom. But when I assign names to newly found and unnamed faces, these person keywords are not being inserted into my prebuilt keyword list of family and friends names. How do I get the person inserted facial keywords to handshake with my prebuilt list of names? Maybe this is not possible. It seems as if the person keywords add as a flat keyword structure and to build a hierarchy on top of this flat structure seems to be double work. Just trying to learn before I really start. Still amazed at Lightroom ... wow.

I think what you need to do is tell LrC where to place the "person keywords".....you can do that by right-clicking on the top-level keyword of your prebuilt family and friends hierarchy, then select "Put New Person Keywords inside this Keyword". Once you've done that you should hopefully find new person keywords that you add through facial recognition will be applied to the correct name in your hierarchy.

I think what you need to do is tell LrC where to place the "person keywords".....you can do that by right-clicking on the top-level keyword of your prebuilt family and friends hierarchy, then select "Put New Person Keywords inside this Keyword". Once you've done that you should hopefully find new person keywords that you add through facial recognition will be applied to the correct name in your hierarchy.
A HUGE THANKS ... such an easy fix. Works in my testing mode wonderfully. WOW. It seems to me if recall correctly when I did as you said the Parent keyword suddenly had an "*" inserted. Neat and again thank you. I am new to lightroom and new to this forum but I really appreciate how an answer such as this makes things all much easier. I am so impressed with Lightroom. My current desktop has two 500G spinning hard drives and 4G of RAM. I have purchased a new computer ... A Lenovo Think Station with 32G RAM and two 2T SSD drives configured via a RAID 0 protocol which should make my old "slug" computer disappear in the rear view mirror. I am currently working on a Keyword text file built on a Who, Where, When, What plus Sources structure (this as I have many digitized Slides and digitized photograph images ... about 9,000 where no metadata would be present on the images to indicate source). I have probably 18,000+ images from my D80 and D300 with no GPS metadata so the MAP function will be life saver. I am much excited about Lightroom as trying to organize my images via a complex hierarchal structure of folder names and file names within folders such that the names describe content has driven me almost mad. Again thank you Jim!

It seems to me if recall correctly when I did as you said the Parent keyword suddenly had an "*" inserted.
Yes indeed, that "*" is added to a keyword to signify that all new "person keywords" will be added under that specific keyword. Another one to watch out for is a "period" added after a keyword, which signifies that all new keywords will be added below that specific keyword....that happen if you (inadvertently?) right-click on a keyword and then click on "Put New Keywords Inside this Keyword". That one still trips users up from time to time.

Yes indeed, that "*" is added to a keyword to signify that all new "person keywords" will be added under that specific keyword. Another one to watch out for is a "period" added after a keyword, which signifies that all new keywords will be added below that specific keyword....that happen if you (inadvertently?) right-click on a keyword and then click on "Put New Keywords Inside this Keyword". That one still trips users up from time to time.
The chainsaw is a most useful and powerful tool for maintaining trees on one's property but even the most experienced user of a chainsaw can make a mistake with disastrously awful consequences. I assume the same holds true for this neat tool called Lightroom. Yesterday I did something and for the life of me I do not know what but in my test file I had about 1,000 images and approximately 75 named faces associated with about 240 images. Suddenly all the named faces were consolidated into one person and that person had 240 images associated most of which did not include the person named. All the other 74 names disappeared from my Keyword list. Quickly I learned how to restore a backed up Lightroom catalog. Fortunately I had left Lightroom for a few hours mid day to work in the yard and I exited Lightroom and I always backup on exiting. I was able to restore about 58 of the named persons which was a life saver. A chainsaw mistake often cannot be so easily remedied. Thanks again for your assistance Jim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back