• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • 25 June 2024 It's Lightroom update time again! See What’s New in Lightroom Classic 13.4, Mobile & Desktop (June 2024)? for the bug fixes and new lens profiles. Warning... this is a minor dot release and does NOT fix some of the bugs introduced in 13.3, so if you reverted to 13.2 due to bugs (e.g. sync issues), we'd suggest you stay there for now.

CC App Falling away from LrC

karl.nyhus

Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 14 Sonoma
  2. iOS
Lightroom Classic 13.4
Lightroom 7.4.1
2020 M1 MacBook Air (16GB memory, 1 TB internal storage)
iPhone XS

Once again I find myself pulling away from Lightroom Classic. Last time I walked away completely for a couple of years and explored alternate software. But I returned after surveying the field and not liking anything better.

But now Lightroom (not Classic) has a LOCAL tab. And it's easy to try out. No need to "convert." I just run the Metadata > Save Metadata to Files command in a LrC folder and those images become available with all their edits in the Lightroom (not Classic) Local tab. I use Adobe Bridge to ingest and rename images from my camera's memory card. I use Apple's built-in AirDrop feature to transfer occasional photos from my iPhone to my Mac.

For me, that's all aII I need. I am not a pro photog. I'm an amateur with a small collection of photos (compared to those on this forum).

I would not expect this to be a sufficient workflow for anyone who has been using LrC happily for many years. But if word gets out, Lightroom (not Classic) may just draw an entirely new crowd of amateur photographers looking for a capable and easy to use software. :)

But if word gets out, Lightroom (not Classic) may just draw an entirely new crowd of amateur photographers looking for a capable and easy to use software. :)
I think that is exactly what Lightroom Cloud was designed for :)

But now Lightroom (not Classic) has a LOCAL tab.
I think this was included because of the clientele. As of this initial release, I think the Local feature is immature and has a long way to go. "Local" means local. There is no sharing between platforms and once copied to a different (mobile) device, the develop process diverges such that you can wind up with many different derivatives of the same original.

You have always had a "local" option before there was a Lightroom or other DAM tool. I want to manage my images in one place and only one place. I want them to be available on many platforms including mobile devices. This is why I think LrC has been so successful and has seen imitators like Apple Aperture come and go.

I think the Local feature is immature and has a long way to go
But strangely enough, it is all that I need.

I do not recommend the Lightroom Local tab workflow for anyone who needs or wants a full-featured Digital Asset Manager. And I certainly do not expect it to appeal to anyone already using LrC and happy with its workflow and capabilities. I'm pretty sure that Adobe realizes it has at least two distinct and quite different audiences for its software.

...... I want to manage my images in one place and only one place. I want them to be available on many platforms including mobile devices. ...
I think for many of us this is the key condition. This is precisely what I want, especially as I continue to take more photos with my iPhone -- the camera I always have with me.
As of today, I can use LR mobile on my iPhone, acquire a .dng, and easily make it available in LR Classic (on my PC) where I catalog it and produce the same look I have with the photos from my dslr. Then I can also view it later on my iPad.

I think for many of us this is the key condition. This is precisely what I want, especially as I continue to take more photos with my iPhone -- the camera I always have with me.
As of today, I can use LR mobile on my iPhone, acquire a .dng, and easily make it available in LR Classic (on my PC) where I catalog it and produce the same look I have with the photos from my dslr. Then I can also view it later on my iPad.
So what you are saying is that Adobe has designed software that is meeting your needs? That's great. The Local tab is not meant for you. Adobe, and rightly so, is designing their software to meet the needs of a wide variety of users. And that's great, too!

There is more than one path through Adobe's photo software. I'm glad you have found a way that works for you. :)

So what you are saying is that Adobe has designed software that is meeting your needs? .........

There is more than one path through Adobe's photo software.......
I will say that they are working on it, and getting closer. Sync'g between multiple devices is proving to be complex.; there are sill some bugs to be ironed out.
I wouldn't be surprised that one of these days/years they introduce a package that replaces both LRC and the current LR. Then you pick the path that is right for you. They are getting closer, and from a corporate strategy point of view that makes the most sense, especially when resources are so costly.

I was excited to discover the Local option in LR; fired it up. It worked briefly, then crashed. After 2 hours with Adobe support, we got it running again. But, my LRC catalog got corrupted as part of this. Fortunately I backup my catalog every time I exit Classic.
Then LRC would never finish syncing. I synced some collections from LRC with LR so that I could work on them from my laptop/ipad/phone. After 2 hours with support, and another almost 2 hours with escalated support I uncovered how to get sync going. It seems that if there are photos in Classic and also in LR (overlap), the sync get all messed up with the Previews uploaded by LRC to the cloud. At least that's my take. I had to go through the Diagnostic Log, and find the errant photos, then go online and delete. I could add back the image file itself, but not the Preview. Then all worked as planned.

There still seem to be some issues with using both. But perhaps switching completely is a good way to go for some folks.

I wouldn't be surprised that one of these days/years they introduce a package that replaces both LRC and the current LR. Then you pick the path that is right for you.
The needs of Adobe's users vary widely enough, from high volume pro to low-volume hobbyist, and Adobe is clearly big enough and makes enough money, to support two distinctly different versions of Lightroom.

Adobe has recognize the varied needs of their users in the past, for example, by offering both Photoshop and Photoshop Elements, the Adobe Bridge / Adobe Camera Raw workflow, as well as the Adobe Camera Raw / Photoshop workflow.

I was excited to discover the Local option in LR; fired it up. It worked briefly, then crashed. After 2 hours with Adobe support, we got it running again. But, my LRC catalog got corrupted as part of this. Fortunately I backup my catalog every time I exit Classic. Then LRC would never finish syncing.
That has not been my experience with the Lightroom local tab. And nothing that I do in the Lightroom local tab has any effect on my LrC catalog. My use of the Lightroom local tab does not involve Adobe's Cloud in any way.

My observation has been that automatic sync is great when it works but I have learned to avoid it whenever possible.

I will say that they are working on it, and getting closer. Sync'g between multiple devices is proving to be complex.;
From an engineering perspective, I suspect that there will be more and more code that is common to all their Lightroom products.

(side point: Calling "classic" Photoshop Lightroom is stupid. Lightroom has clearly established its own brand and identity distinct from Photoshop. Lots of Lightroom users don't use Photoshop.)

there are sill some bugs to be ironed out.
I wouldn't be surprised that one of these days/years they introduce a package that replaces both LRC and the current LR. Then you pick the path that is right for you.
Ah, but picking out the options you want could in itself be daunting and confusing.

They are getting closer, and from a corporate strategy point of view that makes the most sense, especially when resources are so costly.
I'm not yet convinced that a "mega product" offered to the market makes sense, although engineering integration does make sense. Through ARM-based CPUs into the mix along with classic Windows and Apple systems, plus phones, and it's a witches brew.

I'm not yet convinced that a "mega product" offered to the market makes sense, although engineering integration does make sense.
I agree. LrC and Lr local have two completely different audiences! Plenty of users are being well-served by Lightroom Classic. I don't agree with those who say that Adobe has it slated for replacement. I still have five years of photos in LrC. But so far I'm finding that the Lr local tab may be all I need going forward for my simple needs.

Last edited:
I agree. LrC and Lr local have two completely different audiences!
Probably so, though I might strike the word "completely"
Plenty of users are being well-served by Lightroom Classic. I don't agree with those who say that Adobe has it slated for replacement. I still have five years of photos in LrC. But so far I'm finding that the Lr local tab may be all I need going forward for my simple needs.
Remember, Lightroom Local, as you call it, is a subset of the current Lightroom; it is not a stand alone product. Right now you have a choice in the upper left on the Lightroom 1st screen of "Cloud" or "Local". Adobe could easily add a 3rd choice and call it "Catalog", adding a Catalog function and perhaps choices like Slideshow, etc. I know some of the Cloud users would also like a DAM functionality. It gets complicated pretty fast.

Right now you have a choice in the upper left on the Lightroom 1st screen of "Cloud" or "Local". Adobe could easily add a 3rd choice and call it "Catalog", adding a Catalog function and perhaps choices like Slideshow, etc. I know some of the Cloud users would also like a DAM functionality.
Adding a third function called "Catalog." Hmm ... Now THAT is an interesting idea.

I think Aperture was released before Lightroom, and it is Lightroom that is the "imitator"
Aperture was indeed released before Lightroom.

Was not the precursor to Lightroom, Symantec's Raw Shooter, I think, released in early 2005 before Aperture, which was first seen in October 2005? The appearance and main functions, Library and Develop, were there and very similar in appearance and function the those in the first iteration of Lightroom. I've still got files in my catalog that were originally processed in Raw Shooter! That's going back nearly twenty years.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I was actually suggesting that Raw Shooter was the inspiration for LR rather than Aperture, especially when you consider that Adobe acquired Pixmantec before LR was released.

Last edited:
My apologies to Pixmantec who were the creators of Raw Shooter NOT Symantec as I stated in my previous posts!

I was actually suggesting that Raw Shooter was the inspiration for LR rather than Aperture, especially when you consider that Adobe acquired Pixmantec before LR was released.
I know you were, but Apple would have seen that software too, so why could Apple not have been inspired too? The fact that they didn't aquire the company before Adobe did, does not mean they couldn't have gotten the idea for Aperture from RawShooter.

They may well have been. I've never seen or used Aperture to be able to say whether it was inspired by Raw Shooter or not. My suggestion was based on the fact that Adobe acquired Pixmantec and that the first iteration of LR had, in my opinion, some of the features and design of Raw Shooter.
Still this is off the point of the original post, so no more from me on this. Thanks for your input Johan.

Back