• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Face recognition & labelling

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version
Operating System
I shoot a lot of events where I photograph happenings and portraits of people I happen across along the way. I might end up with say 2500 images and I want to identify all images with faces in them to create a Smart Collection.

So I selected the master Collection Set and did the Face Recognition thing. It recognised about 1100 faces. I don't need to label them as they're anonymous. However, the problem occurs when I try to label them or add a Faces keyword. I Select All and apply the keyword but it only set about 1/2 - 2/3 of all the identified photos. When I go back to browse the images manually many do not have the Face keyword.

So I need a bit more info on how to do this successfully as the People pane doesn't seem like the browse pane. I gather the FR function can find multiple faces in the one image? And then it stacks faces?

Any ideas on how to do this more successfully?

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic
Are you sure they're the same images and faces it already found? Face recognition runs in the background and takes a long while to do it's thing. When I look at the set of faces it has found and assign names to all of them and come back 10 minutes later, it has found more so the grid now has more faces to be tagged. This could be what's happening.

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Its definitely has had enough time, as its only targeting one collection and the computer was left on overnight.

I just discovered in People view, if I right-click on an image after Select All and select Go to Collection.. it highlights the recognised images in only about a third or portraits present. It seems once it recognises a person it will only select one image in a series, even if poses are different, so its not doing what I hoped to achieve.