• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

face recognition identified numerous photos without faces

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reddwarf4ever

Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
is there a solution other than find faces again, if that doesnt work, is it enough to remove them from light room ?

is there a setting to improve recognition, many are landscapes

Face Recognition is not a perfect science. pretty much anything with two blobs above one blob can be thought of as a face. Two windows above a door is often mistacken for a face as are colored dots on flower petals and shadows in bushes. Other than just telling LrC on a case by case basis that particular face region is to be ignored there's not much you can do about it. It's like COVID test kits. There are some false positives and some false nagatives. So, even though LrC's face recognition sometimes gives false positives and sometimes misses a face, overall it still seems to save time over manually doing it.

is there a solution other than find faces again, if that doesnt work, is it enough to remove them from light room ?

is there a setting to improve recognition, many are landscapes
Lightroom will detect any 3 appropriately spaced dots as a face {:•}. Would you rather it err on missing some valid faces or let you decide which "faces" detected are correct and which not?

Lightroom will detect any 3 appropriately spaced dots as a face {:•}. Would you rather it err on missing some valid faces or let you decide which "faces" detected are correct and which not?
False negatives (no faces when there are some) is much worse.

But what I would really rather is that Adobe invest some effort into improving something many online platforms do MUCH better. I haven't seen any substantive improvement in many years. It seems to be a feature no longer being maintained or developed.

False negatives (no faces when there are some) is much worse.

But what I would really rather is that Adobe invest some effort into improving something many online platforms do MUCH better. I haven't seen any substantive improvement in many years. It seems to be a feature no longer being maintained or developed.
I agree that if Adobe wants to promote Face recognition, then they should invest the effort to be at least on par with the other online platforms. Perhaps they do not see a significant market of Adobe centric photographers that use Facial Recognition. As I mentioned earlier, I did not see the Lightroom efforts justified for the results that I wanted. and abandoned that from my workflow.

As I mentioned earlier, I did not see the Lightroom efforts justified for the results that I wanted. and abandoned that from my workflow.
So you do you do Face Tagging? Can Lightroom read those tags?

I agree that if Adobe wants to promote Face recognition, then they should invest the effort to be at least on par with the other online platforms.
With all the recent emphasis on GPU acceleration of DEVELOP functions, perhaps the fact that Face Recognition is a metadata issue outside of DEVELOP, is the issue. [sarcasm alert here].

Perhaps they do not see a significant market of Adobe centric photographers that use Facial Recognition.
There are several ways that Adobe could gauge the importance of Face Recognition to their users. That said, Adobe has never reached out to me for suggestions for how to do that. [sarcasm alert again alert].

So you do you do Face Tagging? Can Lightroom read those tags?

I don’t use the face finding option any more. I found that it was simply more effort that produced a lot of additional effort on my part to assign names to faces.

Also Genetic traits make the process more of a chore. Once, I identified myself and let Lightroom Suggest matches. It came up with uncles and aunts and cousins of both genders that looked like me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don’t use the face finding option any more. I found that it was simply more effort that produced a lot of additional effort on my part to assign names to faces.

Also Genetic traits make the process more of a chore. Once, I identified myself and let Lightroom Suggest matches. It came up with uncles and aunts and cousins of both genders that looked like me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Actually, I find it quite good, definitely the more faces that get tagged, the easier it is to match faces to names…..it does make silly errors, suggested a football was an old friend of mine…made me laugh, but I’m getting more and more familiar with it, identified faces can be dragged up into already named faces, or into the appropriate keyword, and as multiples can be selected, it speeds things up a lot, I just couldn’t do this manually, and I am quite enjoying it, the rewards are amazing.

Actually, I find it quite good, definitely the more faces that get tagged, the easier it is to match faces to names…..it does make silly errors, suggested a football was an old friend of mine…made me laugh, but I’m getting more and more familiar with it, identified faces can be dragged up into already named faces, or into the appropriate keyword, and as multiples can be selected, it speeds things up a lot, I just couldn’t do this manually, and I am quite enjoying it, the rewards are amazing.
I find Face Recognition hit or miss at best. Once it identified men with beards as my daughter.

Even though I now have hundreds of photos identified with my adult children, the Face Recognition feature still does a poor job of identifying them in new photos. I had believed that Lightroom would "learn" to identify people based on previous identifications. I'm not so sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back