• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Import Extracting photos (and movies) from SMS text messages

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilBurton

Lightroom enthusiast (and still learning)
Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Classic 8.4
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I'm getting a lot of text messages from my son with photos (new grandchild!) that I want to import into Lightroom. Does anyone have a workflow for this process?

Phil Burton

Phil, I assume you are accessing the sms text message on your smartphone? On my iPhone in the Messages app I use the "share" button to bring up the many sharing options, one of which is "Copy to Lightroom" (i.e. the LrMobile app on the same phone). That opens the app and imports the image, which then automatically syncs to the cloud and will appear in Classic the next time I start it.

I haven't checked on Android, though I would expect that something similar is possible.

If you don't have software on your phone, my (very clunky!) method is to save the photo on my phone, email it to myself, pick up the email on my desktop, and import from there.

Can you give us more details?
If you are receiving them via WhatsApp or FB messenger, installing LR Mobile and automatically importing a photos will do the job.

Sent using Tapatalk

If you don't have software on your phone, my (very clunky!) method is to save the photo on my phone, email it to myself, pick up the email on my desktop, and import from there.
That's what I have done so far, and it is very clunky. I was hoping for some method to save/copy all photos in a message thread in one go.

Phil

Phil, I assume you are accessing the sms text message on your smartphone? On my iPhone in the Messages app I use the "share" button to bring up the many sharing options, one of which is "Copy to Lightroom" (i.e. the LrMobile app on the same phone). That opens the app and imports the image, which then automatically syncs to the cloud and will appear in Classic the next time I start it.

I haven't checked on Android, though I would expect that something similar is possible.
Jim,

I have been trying really hard to avoid LrMobile and cloudy. I copy/move photos from our iPhones and iPads using folder copy through Windows. Works well enough for me. (I do have lots of issues with iTunes, but that's a separate, OT topic.)

My method with photos I want to save in iMessages on my iPhone is to just drag the picture to the Lightroom logo!

My method with photos I want to save in iMessages on my iPhone is to just drag the picture to the Lightroom logo!
Lightroom logo on the phone? on your PC or Mac? Which Lightroom app?

Sorry I was unclear....... when I read my own post I don´t understand it either. :D

I use iCloud to sync my iMessages between my iPhone and my Mac. That way all pictures in iMessages are available on my Mac and I drag the photos from iMessage on my Mac to LR in the dock.

Sorry I was unclear....... when I read my own post I don´t understand it either. :D

I use iCloud to sync my iMessages between my iPhone and my Mac. That way all pictures in iMessages are available on my Mac and I drag the photos from iMessage on my Mac to LR in the dock.
Thanks. Since I have a PC, that approach isn't available to me.

Phil

Thanks. Since I have a PC, that approach isn't available to me.

Phil

Actually it probably is there is an iCloud for Windows IIRC, the iCloud folders are hidden in Windows but all of your iPhone photos are synced to this folder in Windows

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually it probably is there is an iCloud for Windows IIRC, the iCloud folders are hidden in Windows but all of your iPhone photos are synced to this folder in Windows

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cletus,

Thanks. For privacy reasons, I don't use iCloud.

Cletus,

Thanks. For privacy reasons, I don't use iCloud.
Very little is truly private on the web. Hackers could be tapping our very conversation. You use the Adobe Cloud, iCloud is no Different wrt photos. I like the convenience of picking up any device and having the document available to pickup where I left off. Because Windows iCloud was not that well integrated at that time, I migrated away from Windows in favor of an all Apple environment. You can choose to store only photos in iCloud leaving any other documents and files outside of the cloud environment. Microsoft has also gone cloud centric. IIRC, All documents, and photos are defaulted to a One Drive location on new Windows installs. Dropbox is another option as is Google Google Drive.
iCloud​
Adobe Cloud​
OneDrive​
Dropbox​
GoogleDrive​
Amazon Drive​
All are Cloud based and all have components to seamlessly share photos from multiple mobile devices to a Master computer. If you use any of these you are in the cloud, secure only to the extent that the Cloud Service provider can provide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back