• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

External storage suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nxf

I am about to loose my job and am looking for the holy grail of excellent performance for little money in the addition of 2 new external drives, 1 for storage & other for backup.

I have a Laptop (now full with LR, Catalogue & photos) 2.8'GHz, 512 cache with 8' GB Ultra ATA/1'' hard drive, an old Midi tower PII 233MHz 32MB sdram, 3.2 GB Ultra DMA h/d with plenty of room for expansion, and a good 21" dell monitor.

1) Is it cost-effective to utilize the PII computer with for example 2 new 5''GB drives either;
a) Networked as both storage & backup?
b) USB connected to Laptop as both storage & backup?

2) External storage drive USB to computer & PII backup drive connected to laptop either network or USB?

If "1b)" above is suggested? what is the best way to attach the drives to the laptop;
a) In a new double enclosure (caddy)?
b) Daisy-chained?

Have I missed any other options?

Many thanks,
Nigel.

Moved here by moderator

I am about to loose my job and am looking for the holy grail of excellent performance for little money in the addition of 2 new external drives, 1 for storage & other for backup.

I have a Laptop (now full with LR, Catalogue & photos) 2.8'GHz, 512 cache with 8' GB Ultra ATA/1'' hard drive, an old Midi tower PII 233MHz 32MB sdram, 3.2 GB Ultra DMA h/d with plenty of room for expansion, and a good 21" dell monitor.

1) Is it cost-effective to utilize the PII computer with for example 2 new 5''GB drives either;
a) Networked as both storage & backup?
b) USB connected to Laptop as both storage & backup?

2) External storage drive USB to computer & PII backup drive connected to laptop either network or USB?

If "1b)" above is suggested? what is the best way to attach the drives to the laptop;
a) In a new double enclosure (caddy)?
b) Daisy-chained?

Have I missed any other options?

Many thanks,
Nigel.

I don't really understand your wishes.
What works for me: Comp, with networkrouter (Draytek).
Attached a NAS 25' Gb-drive (Buffalo) and on the 2 USB ports on that drive a 1 Tb and a 75' Mb USB-drive: total of 2 Tb next to the 5''Gb in my comp.

If I understand, you simply want to use the PII as a file server?

I don't think that will gain you anything performance wise, while providing an additonal potential failure mechanism. Maybe as backup only, but seems more complicated than necessary.

I'd say stick with USB drives directly from the laptop.

Sorry to hear about your job.

I'd go with USB externals, separate so that you can leave the backup one disconnected when you're not using it, in case a power spike kills it, or something equally bizarre happens.

Thanks,
I think I'll go with a pair of externals, I like the tip about leaving the backup one disconnected.

Thanks,
I think I'll go with a pair of externals, I like the tip about leaving the backup one disconnected.

If you are in the US, Staples is currently running a special on WD Passport 5''GB USB drives for $99.'' (no rebate necessary). These drives are especially convenient, and their performance with a laptop is better than you would think.

--Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back