• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

External Monitor Opinions Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braders

I have been considering an external monitor to use with my laptop.

What is considered the best external monitor
24"
under $2'''

Well, I will not say what's best, because that's just opening a can of worms. While there are many good choices, I personally prefer IPS panels from NEC. They are not the cheapest, but you know exactly what you are getting. They do not have "lotteries" like some other companies. I believe they also have a model that is meant to run in Adobe RGB color space, but that may present some challenges in workflow. There was a whole discussion on this at dpreview.com a few months ago, and I know there is a NEC rep who posts on their forum. I recommend spending some researching time before buying.

Good luck,

--Ken

Brad, I guess it will come down to whether the video adapter in the laptop can support the 192' x 12'' resolution. I'm assuming that with XP MCE, you'd have a higher end video adapter.

I'm considering a similar purchase and as Ken said, the IPS technology is currently well respected for color fidelity. Since I can't afford the Eizo, I believe the NEC is a reasonable second choice.

Absolutely no personal experience though, it's all book-learnin'. (And from the web, at that)

....some other brad :D

Brad, Brad here

Not been very savi with computer technology etc, i have no idea how to determine if my laptop will do as you suggest it should.

So, for the idiot that i am, a dummy's guide to what and how would be great.

Brad

There is a specific model for your computer, and if I remember HP laptops correctly, on the bottom of the laptop is a label. Somewhere on that label is a model number, or a part number (or both). Can you provide that? This number will help determine what is inside your computer (hardware wise).

Will get back to you...not in front of it now.

With a laptop, I'm not sure how you'd tell. You wouldn't be able to select the higher rez, without attaching a monitor capable of it, kind of darned if you do, darned if you don't. If it were a desktop, no matter, a new video card would be less than the shipping on the monitor.

Perhaps the model # will help as Ian suggests.

I've got 3 NEC 198''s down in the Studio and they're very nice monitors.

If the OP can post details of the GPU it should be possible to tell what resolutions it can run.

Brad Snyder;994' said:
With a laptop, I'm not sure how you'd tell. You wouldn't be able to select the higher rez, without attaching a monitor capable of it, kind of darned if you do, darned if you don't. If it were a desktop, no matter, a new video card would be less than the shipping on the monitor.

Perhaps the model # will help as Ian suggests.

It's been a while since I had an HP laptop, but I think we can get detailed info on the hardware using the model/part number. Then, we should be able to determine the max resolution of the video card.

If the OP can post details of the GPU it should be possible to tell what resolutions it can run.

This is what we are going to get for the OP using the model/part number, as the OP indicates that he is not very savvy with computers.

ok

sorry for the delay, busy at my real job!

HP pavilion zd8''' - 375'39 ''1

Is this the number you need?

Brad

Close. You should see a tag like this:

c'123'845.jpg

It would be helpful to have either the Product Number (#2 on the label) or the specific model number (#3 on the label). The number you provided, zd8''' is for the family of laptops and is not specific enough.

From what I can find through HP and ATI, your laptop runs the ATI M22/M24 chipset, and should have either an ATI X3'' or X6'' video card. Both cards can support resolutions up to 2'48x1536 at 85 Hz. That's huge. A 23/24 inch widescreen monitor, for example, is 192'x12'', so that should work just fine on your laptop.

Of course, you should have a 14 to 3' day return with any monitor that you buy, so if by chance it doesn't work, you could just return/exchange it for something else, but I expect you will be fine.

A second opinion, however, never hurts, so if anyone has any better knowledge with this stuff, please chime in.

It is a Radeon X6'' video card, indeed.

So, the 26inch NEC will still work?

The native resolution on that screen is 192'x12'' at 6' Hz. The max refresh at that resolution that your card supports is 1'' Hz, so it looks like you would be just fine.

Now I'm jealous... Want to accidentally buy two and accidentally send me one of them?

now i am happy...thanks for that....will let you know how the match goes.

Next question is this.

the NEC comes with spectraview color calibration etc

is this needed is i already have Eye 1 display 2?

Now if Adobe gives us dual monitor support, can you imagine my future LR experience!

Braders;1''4' said:
now i am happy...thanks for that....will let you know how the match goes.

Next question is this.

the NEC comes with spectraview color calibration etc

is this needed is i already have Eye 1 display 2?

Spectraview is likely just onboard software/visual calibration. Don't bother with it. Use a hardware calibration tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back