External Monitor Opinions Please

Ian Farlow

Founder
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Huh... I don't really know what Spectraview is, so I will simply retract my last statement and now say that I don't know if you should use it or not. Wish I could be more helpful with this bit, though.

No need to retract. Appreciate your help.

Neither do i, so will continue the research on this and share any more info i can squeeze into my brain.

NEC 2690 Spectraview II questions

So, i went out and bought one of these beasts. Whoa....the wife is not happy this week. Between this and LR2.':lol:!!

I have a couple of issues, potentially related.

1. Even though my graphics card (Radeon X6'') handle the 192'x12'' res, and i was able to set this as so, i dont seem to be getting the correct res. When i plug it in using 15 pin mini Dsub (analogue), the corner of the monitor says 16''x12''. yet, when i plug it in (DVI DVI - digital) to the wifes Macbook pro (radeon x16''), the correct res 192'x12'' appears. So is this the card or the cable or both.

2. Calibration setting as per CM expert info on other forum - D65, gamma 2.2, black point .5, White point 15', contrast ratio - default.
The problem -
a. During calibration this message appears "Max luminecence that can be acheived is 1'6. This is lower than target value. Auto adjustment will be made to maximum possible"
b. Caibration summary - WP 649', Luminecence 1'3, Gamma 2.2, Contrast 1/255.

This baby has a max contrast ratio of 1/8'', so i am not sure what went wrong. Contrast ratio = Black/White points = .5/15' = 3''.

Should i set the contrast ratio rather than default?
IS this affected by the first issue?

Once i have this figured....

Brad Snyder

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Brad, it's over my head. I'm still making do with visual calibration, since my work is not very color critical. A calibrator is likely to be my next gear purchase, but I haven't done it yet.

1) resolution, don't know
2) here's a link to some data that indicates you're not as far off as it seems.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/lcd-technicalities,762.html

This article has several pages, so be sure to click thru them. The gist is that your current capability is just about perfect for photo work.

Ian Farlow

Founder
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Holy schmoly... I just looked up the NEC 269' WUXi-BK display. That thing is expensive. And I thought I spent a lot on my 23" ACDs. Nice specs, though.

Unfortunately, I don't have the answer for you regarding your video card or calibration. I have seriously lost touch with Windows since switching a year ago.