• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom 6 questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom 6 - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. When you upgrade to subscription, there's also a Lightroom Classic version available.

External hard Drive Running Out of Space

grdnangl313

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version
LR 6 version 6.10.1
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.13 High Sierra
I keep all of my Lightroom photos and library files ( I believe) on an external hard drive to save space on my computer. I don't do that much in LR, so don't judge me. I use LR 6 version.

I am upgrading my external space to 5 TB from my current 2TB hard drive because I can no longer add anyphotos to my hard drive - yes I have so many photos. How do I make sure I transfer all of my photos and the photos from Lightroom in my catalogue over to the new external hard drive? Do I have to redirect ALL of my photos in LR so they recognize that they have been moved to my new hard drive or how do I do this?

Any easy/beginner instructions would be appreciated. Please keep it easy to understand as I do not do this every day - thanks!

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic