External Hard Drive question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pilot370

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Hello all!
I just downloaded the 30 day trial of LR. I have been using iPhoto/Apeture. I was running out of hard drive space on my MB with my iTunes and photos on it. So i have moved all photos about 35gb and my iTunes library to an external HD.
How do I get my photos in LR to use? LR is recognizing my external HD but the photos folder is greyed out and I cannot select it. I dont have enough room to put the photos back on my internal HD.

Thanks!
John

Hi John, welcome to the forum.

Could you try posting a screenshot of your Import screen so we can try to figure out what's going on?

If you need help with taking and posting of screenshots, have a look at this post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a screen shot. It recognizes my external HD but does not show the pictures folder. Screen Shot 2013-03-21 at 8.27.06 PM.png

OK, iPhoto has obfuscated the location of your original images inside the iPhoto Library package. LR can not see inside this package. There are some Methods that will let you extract the originals from iPhotos grasp. If you have PSE, you can even use it to convert your iPhoto database into a PSE organiser catalog which can be converted into a LR catalog.

For a few days, I will be unable to help you further as I am leaving town for a weekend. Some other Mac literate person might pick it up or if this is still pending when I return, I'll resume the help.

Hi,

The best tool I've found for dealing with the iPhoto library is Phoshare. It reads the iPhoto package and gives you several options for making it accessible to any other application. I suggest the link mode option as that will give you access to your entire iPhoto library without having duplicate all the image files and use up additional disk space.

-louie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back