• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

External Hard Drive Impact on Collections and Sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.

pantsmclee

Lightroom Version Number
Classic 10.3
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
Hi there!

I recently did a "try Lightroom Cloudy" experiment and have opted to stick with Classic. One of the things I was looking forward to with Cloudy was the easing of sharing albums - a way to share years of photos with friends and family.

I see that it's possible to do this with Classic, but there's one aspect I'm not sure about: because I work on a laptop, all my image folders, with the exception of the current year and the LRC catalogue, reside on an external hard. So, let's say I create a collection called John Smith 2001 - 2021 and include photos from years that are on the external drive and my laptop then sync that collection through LR Cloudy so that I can share it with John Smith. Will the shared collection still be fully accessible if I detach the external drive from my laptop? (The hard drive is attached while I'm working on older photos in LRC, but otherwise detached.)

I'm not in a position to "test" this because a version of my catalogue is still lurking on LR Cloudy (from my experiment) and I don't want to trigger a full sync with LRC, so if anyone already knows the answer, I would be so grateful!

Hi there!

I recently did a "try Lightroom Cloudy" experiment and have opted to stick with Classic. One of the things I was looking forward to with Cloudy was the easing of sharing albums - a way to share years of photos with friends and family.

I see that it's possible to do this with Classic, but there's one aspect I'm not sure about: because I work on a laptop, all my image folders, with the exception of the current year and the LRC catalogue, reside on an external hard. So, let's say I create a collection called John Smith 2001 - 2021 and include photos from years that are on the external drive and my laptop then sync that collection through LR Cloudy so that I can share it with John Smith. Will the shared collection still be fully accessible if I detach the external drive from my laptop? (The hard drive is attached while I'm working on older photos in LRC, but otherwise detached.)

I'm not in a position to "test" this because a version of my catalogue is still lurking on LR Cloudy (from my experiment) and I don't want to trigger a full sync with LRC, so if anyone already knows the answer, I would be so grateful!

Lightroom (cloudy) works with images stored in the cloud. When you sync a Classic Collection, a smaller proxy image file is sent to the cloud It is this image that you see when you use Lightroom Cloudy or Lightroom for the web.

You can turn disconnect the EHD, turn off the computer and the images stored in the cloud will remain available for viewing on another computer or mobile device running Lightroom (cloudy) or a Web browser viewing Lightroom for the Web.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back