• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

External Hard Drive Filling Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve48

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic CC 7.3.1
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
My O Drive is filling up. I have a lot of space on my F Drive. I want to leave all of my images on My O drive where they are, and want to start putting new images on my F Drive.
What is the best way for me to start putting images on the F Drive. Ideally If I do a search on keywords I want the results to include images on both drives. How do I accomplish this. TIA

I think I figured it out. I plan to copy them from card to F drive. Then import (Add) to O drive. -- Edit-- That doesnt seem to work or I am getting confused.
I copied images from card to F drive. I then selected the destination folder on the O drive and set up to do an Add import to this folder from the F drive but it is not clear to me that the images be properly added to the catalog.

Last edited:
I think I figured it out. I plan to copy them from card to F drive. Then import (Add) to O drive.
You can do it even easier: Tell Lightroom to copy the images to the F drive while it imports them into the catalog.

I copied images from card to F drive. I then selected the destination folder on the O drive and set up to do an Add import to this folder from the F drive but it is not clear to me that the images be properly added to the catalog.

You cannot set a destination folder when you are doing an Add import (obviously, as an "Add" import simply adds the files to the catalog, referencing their current location). A Destination Folder is only possible when doing a Copy or Move import.

As Johan said, import directly from card, using the Copy option with the Destination folder set to the F drive.

My O Drive is filling up. I have a lot of space on my F Drive. I want to leave all of my images on My O drive where they are, and want to start putting new images on my F Drive.
What is the best way for me to start putting images on the F Drive. Ideally If I do a search on keywords I want the results to include images on both drives. How do I accomplish this. TIA

Assuming you’re using Lightroom, it’s as simple as adding the new folders (on F) to the Catalog.
As Lightroom’s Catalog is just a “reference” to all files, and only stores the keywords (alongside the development settings), that’s all there is.

Hope this helps.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

Assuming you’re using Lightroom, it’s as simple as adding the new folders (on F) to the Catalog.
As Lightroom’s Catalog is just a “reference” to all files, and only stores the keywords (alongside the development settings), that’s all there is.

Hope this helps.

Maybe to clarify my own workflow:
When I have new images on my memory cards, I copy them over to the place on my hard-drives where I want them to be.
Then I just “Add” them during import.

Maybe to clarify my own workflow:
When I have new images on my memory cards, I copy them over to the place on my hard-drives where I want them to be.
Then I just “Add” them during import.
I understood that, but like I said that is an unnecessary extra step. You can let Lightroom import the images and save them on that drive all in one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back