• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

External File Naming by External Editor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul_DS256

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
LR Classic 8.4
Operating System
  1. Windows 7
I am using TOPAZ Sharpening and TOPAZ Denoise. When I launch either from, the resulting filename is {filename}-Edit. I found this defined under 'Edit Externally File Naming' under the External Editing tab of preferences.

TOPAZ applies it's own suffices when used stand-alone which I'd like to use. I haven't found any place to make this happen. I suspect that LR may need to control the file naming.

Would I would like is for TOPAZ Sharpen is for the name to be {filename}-sharpen,TIF and for TOPAZ Denoise to be {filename}-denoise.TIF

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Lightroom does indeed control the file name, because Lightroom generates the tiff and sends it to Topaz. You could create the two different file name templates yourself, but I don't think these save with the external editor presets.

File names are not such a good way of saving this kind of information anyway. Why not create keywords for it and apply the keyword when the file gets back from Topaz. Or use another field, like the caption or title field. Or manually change the file name when it comes back...

File names are not such a good way of saving this kind of information anyway

Thanks Johan but I'd disagree with your observation. I find keeping all the different files created in relation to the original in LIBRARY. Seems LR creates an original TIF copy separate from the original NEF then stacks it with the TIF returned from TOPAZ. I've found the file naming an easy reference point in grid mode. In my case, it was complicated because I was creating a 3 picture HDR so had 3x the number of images to manage.

Oh that's easy; {filename}-plug1suffix-plug2suffix-plug3suffix.TIF.
Why?

What is the point of having such long names? What is the advantage it gives you? I struggle to see your point here.

For keeping track of your workflow, the use of keywords is much neater.

Sent using Tapatalk

The workaround, should you wish to use it, is to create an Export preset that renames the way you want, adds to the catalog, and automatically opens the exported photo in the other app. That way you can have a different export preset for each external editor, with the suffix of your choice for each one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back