• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

External Editor -- sometimes opens PS CS6 sometimes PS CC2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Hi - at wit's end here. I've simply got some plugs in PS that I need to use in workflow and I'm on LR CC 2015.3

I'm GUESSING the folks at Adobe have chosen to LOCK USERS IN to using CC products in workflow. LR seems to 'apparently randomly' open an image in PS CS 6 or PS CC2014. Preferences have hard-wired external editor as PS CC2014 and my secondary editor as PS CS6. Short of uninstalling CC2014, is there a way to make my LR open an image directly in PS CS6?

I've had to adapt extra workflow of:
Export TIFFs to folder.
Open PS CS6.
Import images.
Save images.
Back to LR and 'move' import these edited TIFFs back to LR catalogue.

Thanks for any info.
Jeff

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-05-05 at 10.53.23 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-05-05 at 10.53.23 AM.png
    69.4 KB · Views: 446
I don't understand the question. If CS6 is set as your second editor, then you should be able to open an image from Lightroom in CS6 by choosing that second editor. Doesn't that work?

And why are you still at 2015.3? Any reason not to update to 2015.5?

Is there a particular reason you need to open some in CS6 and some in CC? Most people just use one version, so it's not a use case that would be heavily tested.

Hi thanks everyone - for some reason I did not receive notifications of your responses to my email.

My Portraiture plugin only works in CS6 - I believe some of my issues are OS specific and unlike some people I'm not lucky enough to be able to upgrade HARDWARE at the present time so it frustrates when developers lock in to only X or Y operating systems (I understand support logistics and liabilities etc.). Further updates to a CC program I'm paying for REQUIRE now OS 10.9 or higher... which is frustrating now paying monthly for software that will be useless to me soon.

ANYWAY....

No, I cannot CHOOSE which editor to open a file with and tonight has got me at the end of my rope - last night in a different catalog I was able to happily work away in CS6 exporting from Lightroom. Tonight, after a shoot, with a new catalog (same camera, so same EXIF etc) I can't export anything because it wants to export to CC2014 which I have temporarily disabled. It won't even 'option B' to CS6.

Nope. Need help now.
Guess I go to Adobe tech support.
Just re-installed CC2014 and Lightroom still isn't happy.
Don't see why it GREYS OUT / enforces CC2014 PS as being required to edit a photo out of Lightroom.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-05-10 at 8.00.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-05-10 at 8.00.21 PM.png
    29.6 KB · Views: 321
Hi Victoria - whatever the reason, it's not an issue with Portraiture. It's an issue with LR - it's not an option FOR primary editor. It's solely CC.
Please see previous posts with attached screen shots of messages I get. I've already re-installed PS CC 2014 and can use it just fine - it won't launch from LR which is a workflow nightmare...
export as TIFF, open in PS, save, go back to LR, import new files, ditch old ones to save space... C'mon...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-05-11 at 9.42.58 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-05-11 at 9.42.58 AM.png
    60.1 KB · Views: 289
Sorry Johan ---- bad screenshot timing ---- this was after trying a troubleshooting method. That's not the issue. It still won't launch.

HOWEVER....... just made a test catalog with a single image, and PS CC2014 now launches...

Corrupt catalog? Going to try exporting all photos into new catalog and trying again.

I guess that's it...? Exported my shortlisted photos from the shoot session and now it will export into editor CC2014. I'd still rather have a choice as to which editor to use but... beggars can't be...

I guess that's it...? Exported my shortlisted photos from the shoot session and now it will export into editor CC2014. I'd still rather have a choice as to which editor to use but... beggars can't be...

Did you set PS CS6 as the second editor now? If so, what happens if you choose 'Edit in' and then that second editor?

This happens!
Case of beer for you!

After tossing pref's and apparently working around a corruption, I'm back working.
Thanks for suggestions!

Attachments

• beer.jpg
    beer.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 305
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back