Exposure versus brightness in LR4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry Briels

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
6.x
I am a Lightroom fan since LR 1.0 and at present I am user of LR3.6, with LR4.0 received but not yet installed.
After all these years I am still not confident with the use of Exposure versus Brightness. I know that Exposure influences the overall brightness with greater effect in the high values and that Brightness compresses the tones in the image towards the highlight end.
When I open an image in LR Exposure is 0,0 and Brightness 50. I use a Leica M9.
Often I first reduce Brightness and then increase Exposure.
Doing so has become a habit! Without knowing exactly "why"?
I wonder whether in LR4.0 the way how to apply the combination of exposure and brightness will be clearer?

Lightroom 4 has no Brightness slider in the new Process Version tool set. Exposure and Brightness have been melded into a single tool. Clearer, yes. There is only one from which to choose! :grin:

Lightroom 4 has no Brightness slider in the new Process Version tool set. Exposure and Brightness have been melded into a single tool. Clearer, yes. There is only one from which to choose! :grin:
Rikk: That is good news and seems to prove that the exposure and brightness slider functions were somewhat confusing or in conflict with each other?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back