• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • 21 May 2024 It's Lightroom update time again! See What’s New in Lightroom Classic 13.3, Mobile & Desktop (May 2024)? for all the update news, including Generative Remove using Firefly AI and more!

Export Exporting to Send off for Printing

Tim Gilp

Timbo
Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 14 Sonoma
Hi all. Can I ask for some advice please. Upon consulting Victoria's excellent Missing FAQ book I have exported an image directly from LR Classic to send off to a lab for printing. I want an 8x10 print. When exporting I note the width has changed to 2152 pixels when I would have expected it to be 2400 pixels yet the height is spot on at 3000 pixels. Is this something about aspect ratio, which I don't fully understand.
I have also spoken to the lab about the brightness of the image and if my screen isn't calibrated they recommend lowering the brightness of the screen to 50% and adjusting accordingly. When I do this and increase exposure it just blows the image out. Again advice would be greatly appreciated .
Screenshot 2024-04-17 at 08.56.37.png

Hi all. Can I ask for some advice please. Upon consulting Victoria's excellent Missing FAQ book I have exported an image directly from LR Classic to send off to a lab for printing. I want an 8x10 print. When exporting I note the width has changed to 2152 pixels when I would have expected it to be 2400 pixels yet the height is spot on at 3000 pixels. Is this something about aspect ratio, which I don't fully understand.
What you need to understand about aspect ratio is that you can't change it during export . If you need an aspect ratio which isn't the same as the original (cropped) image, LrC would need to either arbitrarily crop the image for you or stretch/squash the image to meet the requested ratio....which it will not do. What you therefore need to do, if you want to print to a specific ratio/size, is to crop the image yourself to the required ratio before exporting.

My best advice regarding the other issue would be to calibrate your monitor.

Thank you so much Jim. I need to read up more on aspect ratio because I really don't understand , for example, what aspect ratio I would have needed to stop LR automatically cropping my image in this way.

Thank you so much Jim. I need to read up more on aspect ratio because I really don't understand , for example, what aspect ratio I would have needed to stop LR automatically cropping my image in this way.
An 8X10 has an aspect ratio of 4:5. The Aspect ratio of the image coming from most cameras is close to 3:2. That means you will need to crop using the Crop tool to a 4:5 aspect ratio if you want to print an 8X10 print from that image. This will trim the "3" edges of the 3:2 image.

Your D500 has a maximum sensor size of 5568 x 3712. That is exactly 3:2 aspect ratio If you want a 10"X8". print you would need to crop that to a 5:4 aspect ratio and the 8" side would be 3712 pixels. or 464 pixel per inch to get the 10" side you crop would have to be 4640 pixels and you would have to lose 928 pixels off of the long edge.

If you want to print an uncropped image, the print size would need to be 8"X12". which has the same 2:3 aspect ratio.

Just so we know what it’s starting from, when EXIF information is visible in the Metadata panel in Lightroom Classic, what values does it show in the Dimensions and Cropped fields?

Lightroom-Classic-dimensions.jpg

what aspect ratio I would have needed to stop LR automatically cropping my image in this way.
To be clear, LrC didn't, and it can't, automatically crop your image during the export. What it did do, assuming you specified 3000 x 2400 pixels in the export dialog, is ignore the 2400 pixels request.....because it couldn't meet that request and maintain the integrity (i.e. existing aspect ratio) of the image that you presented. I don't know the exact pixel dimensions of the image, but the aspect ratio of the image was not the 5 x 4 that you wanted....in that situation, LrC will export to the largest dimension (3000) whilst maintaining the aspect ratio of the source image. The fact that the short edge ended up being 2152 pixels means that the aspect ratio of the source image, after you presumably artistically cropped it, was around 10:7.17.

As mentioned by the others, if you want to print to a specific ratio, you must first ensure that you crop the image to meet that specific ratio. After that, you can export and all you would need to do is specify the long edge either in pixels or the physical size (e.g. 10").

Back