Exporting to DVD problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stanley J

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
I have created a collection with several hundred photos. These have then been sorted via aspect ratio. When I export this collection to burn a DVD the collection sort order is lost and the files are burned to the DVD alphabetically. I am hoping it is possible to burn the files as they are sorted in the collection. Any advice on how to do this would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Stan in tropical southern Minnesota...

PS: I am using LR 4.1 RC2...need to update my profile I just noticed.

Last edited:
I answered my own question. In the export dialogue box, there is a section called "file naming". I had checked the box for "rename to:" and left as "filename". I changed "filename" to Custom and then typed in (in my circumstance) "Wedding Reception". When I burned the DVD the pictures were in the same sort order as I had them in my collection. Of course all the files are now named Wedding Reception.jpg, Wedding Reception-1.jpg, -2, -3 and so on, but this is not an issue.

So it goes....

What's happening here is that the sort order is determined by whatever you're using to view the list of files, not by Lightroom. If you're using Windows Explorer, by default it sorts on filename. You need to create filenames that sort in the order you want, perhaps by using a sequence number early in the filename.

Thanks Mark for the additional info. I was indeed using Windows Explorer. I tried viewing the thumbnails of the DVD that I first burned (in which I thought the files were burned in the wrong order) in Irfanview and they were in fact in the order that I wanted.

My knowledge base increases....one small bit at a time.....:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back