• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

exporting raw pics as jpeg without saving LR changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

barryb1717

Lightroom Version Number
classic 8.4.1
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Hi,
I belong to a photography club where I email my images with before and after examples.

The raw before images are far too big for email- can I export my original raw pictures from LR as jpegs without adding LR changes so the club can see the original picture before I make changes on it? In other words, I want to email my original raw pics but they are too large.

Thanks

One suggestion-
1. Create a Virtual Copy [ Ctrl+' ]
2. Press [Reset]
3. Export the VC (and optional - delete the VC)

Or two-
1. From the Develop History- Create Snapshots of "As Imported" and "Final Develop"
2. Select a Snapshot to Export.

I have even made screen-clips of the Develop page using [Y] to create a Before/After view in the one frame.
ScreenShot377.jpg

Last edited:
I-See-Light has a good solution. However, I don't think you understand the RAW file. First, it is not an image and the image that you see on the camera back screen is a fully processed JPEG built in the camera. Any image imported into Lightroom will have SOME basic processing to convert it to RGB, correct WB, add tone and noise. So the closest to original you can generate out of Lightroom is a minimally processed JPEG using the method the I-See-Light suggested.

I question, since I found this topic interesting. If you import RAW and EXPORT TIF would that avoid processing? I just exported a 18MB NEF file as a 900KB compressed TIF file.

I question, since I found this topic interesting. If you import RAW and EXPORT TIF would that avoid processing? I just exported a 18MB NEF file as a 900KB compressed TIF file.
You cannot avoid processing as Cletus has described above. You can avoid additional processing, but any software program has to make some decisions about how to render a raw file, regardless of what happens to it next. So, the file you created has some basic assumptions in its rendering, but it does not have any user added processing.

--Ken

Here is a nice description of how camera sensors work. Because digital sensors can only detect the number of photons that strike each pixel they only grey scale devices. By using a Bayer array of colored filters and though the process of "demosaicing" a RBG image file is created.

A completely unprocessed raw file will look like a rather bad looking grey scale image.

Here is a more complete description of this process Cambridge in Colour - Digital Camera Sensors

-louie

If you import RAW and EXPORT TIF would that avoid processing? I just exported a 18MB NEF file as a 900KB compressed TIF file.
No. A RAW file is not an image it is sensor data. To turn it into an image it must have some level of processing which will include applying one of several Profiles. - These are basically hidden Presets. Even though the LR sliders are at 0 a Profile will apply certain adjustments (what those are will depend on the Profile).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back