• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Exporting metadata

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter O'Reilly

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic version: 10.1.1
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I've updated the metadata (title, comments, keywords) on some of my master files (tiffs), and now need to export them as jpegs to another folder where previous versions already exist.
In the export dialogue, I have selected "all metadata", and I tell it to overwrite the previous version of the file. But when I look at the exported jpeg, the title and caption data is missing!
Is there something else in the export dialogue which could be causing this?
Thanks
Peter

How do you look at the exported jpeg? Using Lightroom? Lightroom will show you the metadata as they are stored in the catalog. If you overwrite an image then the catalog metadata won’t be updated automatically. You would have to use ‘Read Metadata from File’ first.

I have just posted this on another thread.

Is this scenario present.

I found (what I believe to be a bug, but Adobe do not) in relation to metadata as follows.
Import an image (say raw), update metadata (say title to Title123) and export as jpg.
Realise there is an error in the metadata.... it should be Title789.
Edit the original raw file metadata to Title789, export with same settings, overwriting the initial jpg.
When reviewing the resultant exported image, the metadata will be incorrect (in either/or the catalog metadata or jpg metadata, not sure which without re-checking). It will contain the initial Title123 data.

Solution. (Simple and engrained in my DNA at this stage.)
Delete the Catalog entry for the exported jpg and delete the exported jpg file. I select the exported jpg in Lr and delete the file from the disk. This will also remove it from the catalog.
Now re-export the jpg and the metadata will be correct.

This is the most basic of programming errors, where the metadata for an existing catalog entry is not initialised when it is been updated resulting from a new export which overwrites a previous image.

I have complained several times and documented this several times. Adobe specifically replied to me stating this was working as per spec. I have not check this recently, maybe it has been fixed. Too busy now to check.

How do you look at the exported jpeg? Using Lightroom? Lightroom will show you the metadata as they are stored in the catalog. If you overwrite an image then the catalog metadata won’t be updated automatically. You would have to use ‘Read Metadata from File’ first.
Thanks, Johan
So after I export the jpeg, I need to click on the "changed metadata" symbol in top right of the thumbnail, and then select "Import settings from disk"?

Hi, Gnits
I guess that's how I will have to do it - delete all the original jpegs, and then re-export from the master files. Seems a very long-winded way of doing what should be a simple export!
As a designer and builder of complex business systems, it really pains me to see such basic housekeeping flaws still in existence.

On the positive side, I now do it without thinking and it does not take too long. It is quicker than manually trying to edit the metadata in the exported files and/ or their corresponding catelog entries.

Thanks, Johan
So after I export the jpeg, I need to click on the "changed metadata" symbol in top right of the thumbnail, and then select "Import settings from disk"?
That is how it should work. If it doesn’t, then that would mean that the metadata of the old image are not overwritten when the image itself is overwritten. Or it would mean that comments are not written to XMP.

There is a bug, at least seven years old, in which changes to User Comment do not get exported:
https://feedback.photoshop.com/conv...ot-working-on-export/5f5f455b4b561a3d42456698

Please add your details and constructive opinion to the bug report, and be sure to click Like and Follow at the bottom of the first post. That will make it a little more likely that Adobe will prioritize a fix, and you'll be notified when the bug's status changes.

The bug is intermittent for me -- sometimes it occurs, sometimes not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back