• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom 6 questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom 6 - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. When you upgrade to subscription, there's also a Lightroom Classic version available.

Exporting & importing catalogues for book module

dtbain

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Hi all

Can I ask all of you -- who've been so amazingly helpful in the past -- two quick questions about using the book module?

Background: My master catalog is on an external drive, so when editing images I tend to export the folder the pics are in as a catalog (including negatives) onto my mac's internal drive (I call these "remote cats"), edit the pics without an external drive attached, then re-import the remote cat to the master. That way, I can edit on our macs without external drive attached. This is working nicely. Questions ...

1. Re-importing books. Will this work in order to do a book using the book moduke? There are two differences that leap to mind, hence my question. First, I won't be editing the pics (for the most part; see below), but simply assembling them into a book. Second, and probably more important, I think (I've not yet used it) that the book module works by putting all the pics used in the book, or (?) all the pics for *potential* use in the book, into a collection (contrast folder); and I want to be sure that that collection will get imported back into the master cat when I re-import the remote cat back to the master cat.

Just to clarify, the key point is: I want *whatever is needed to produce further versions of the book at a later date or indeed amended versions of the book at a later date* re-imported back to the master cat along with the pics themselves. (A think a PDF can be produced, but that won't cut it, since that won't be editable in the way that the book itself will be, I take it.)

2. Book-specific versions. All the pics destined for the book are already edited, but there may be a handful of pics that I want to crop or edit in some minor way before inclusion in the book, but I don't want the edits-for-the-book to over-write my original edits back on the master cat.

Any suggestions as to how to ensure that? I guess I could, in the remote cat, produce copies of any pics I re-edit for the book, and keep those in a subfolder that would be re-imported back to the master with the rest of that folder/cat.​

Hope that makes some sense?!

Many thanks in advance

David

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Yes-
Create a standard collection first with the option to create Virtual Copies (this will 'protect' your original develops if you want to develop, crop, etc, the VCs specifically for the book)
Next open the collection in the Book module and click the tab to create a "Saved Book" collection.
Highlight the "Saved Book Collection" and [Export this collection as a catalog] to the internal drive including Smart Previews.
Now you can open the 'exported book' catalog and edit the book, and edit the photos (that uses the smart previews)
Later you can Import the 'Book' catalog back into the master catalog when opened with the external drive re-connected.

It becomes very easy after doing it a couple of times. You should experiment with a few photos as a trial to get it working.
And you can always Right-click on a "Saved Book Collection" and create a duplicate copy that can be edited with different designs and photos, etc.
When you have the book back in the master catalog, probably wise to delete the 'temporary internal' catalog to prevent you accidentally changing the book design to be different in both catalogs, as they do not sync in any way.

dtbain

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Thanks very much -- very good of you. Let me read properly and digest and get back to if (if you don't mind) if necessary.

All best

d

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
"A picture tells a thousand words" so people say!
So for Catalog Export explanations here are some pictures-

Create a standard collection first with the option to create Virtual Copies (this will 'protect' your original develops if you want to develop, crop, etc, the VCs specifically for the book)
Image 1.

Next open the collection in the Book module and click the tab to create a "Saved Book" collection.
Image 2.

Highlight the "Saved Book Collection"
Image 3.

[Export this collection as a catalog] to the internal drive including Smart Previews.
Image 4. Image 5.

ScreenShot289.jpg ScreenShot290.jpg ScreenShot291.jpg ScreenShot292.jpg ScreenShot293.jpg