Library module Exported jpeg hi quality settings and image degradation on import to iPhone-ipad

Status
Not open for further replies.

craig_k

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
6.x
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
If export setting is 92 quality, 300 dpi, 1000 long side reduction .. on any extremely sharp images viewed otherwise or even printed ( but not with long side reduction) with those parameters,
why does any saved image , inserted into mail program then emailed and imported into a phone or iPad not view as being extremely sharp?
Is the email program degrading that smaller resolution image just exported even more ? The original file size of was approximately 18 mp from Canon 7D mk2 before jpeg export or what could contribute to image quality degradation? Email program is Windows Live Mail, the default program in Windows 10 home version.

I believe the export selection should be set to "dimensions" instead of long side....correct?

export setting is 92 quality, 300 dpi, 1000 long side reduction
I take it you are exporting JPG. Do you happen to have 'Limit File Size' set?

When you say '300 dpi' I take it you are referring to PPI. If it's for screen viewing, I normally do 115 ppi

I normally export to sRGB

If the exported image looks sharp after Export then the problem is downstream from LR at one of the other touch points.
why does any saved image , inserted into mail program then emailed and imported into a phone or iPad not view as being extremely sharp?
I guess a couple of questions:
  1. Does the image look sharp coming out of LR Export? If so then the issue is in one of the other touch points and not LR.
  2. I assume the outbound email program is Windows Live Mail. Did you check your SENT email to see how sharp the image is on the email? Was it an attachment or embedded? I don't know Live Mail so can't comment on if one choice or the other could reduce resolution. Check defaults that may be available for managing emails on Live Mail.
  3. I take it you are using the native iPad or iPhone email client or are you exporting it to an album then viewing?

Paul, thank you for your time sir, PPI correct ( i was going from memory served ) not actual looking at export dialog....
file size is not checked to reduce file size to xxxx.
1. I did change to "dimensions" not long-side or other selection for restrictions...it helped some on export but for some reason the exported version isn't near as sharp as original file viewed in LR...that being said, the sent image that is "attached" pretty well matches the exported "not as sharp as original" ...
2. I am using the native phone\ipad client which i believe are the same program, netherless...as my " attached " not embedded exported jpeg isnt as sharp on export as original in LR the end result isn't as desirable sharpness wise as I'd expect it to be, it is a little more degraded that exported version truthfully.
Again thank you for your time

If export setting is 92 quality, 300 dpi, 1000 long side reduction .. on any extremely sharp images viewed otherwise or even printed ( but not with long side reduction) with those parameters,
Is the email program degrading that smaller resolution image just exported even more ? The original file size of was approximately 18 mp from Canon 7D mk2 before jpeg export or what could contribute to image quality degradation? Email program is Windows Live Mail, the default program in Windows 10 home version.
The screen of an iPad or iPhone is much larger than 1000 pixels. The latest iPad Air is 1640 x 2360 pixels, for example. That means that a 1000 pixels image will be shown at more than 200% is it is shown full screen.

not as sharp as original file viewed
That's where to start.

I just did a check on a recent export. It was at 1164x1080 on a 2265x2103 original at 115 ppi and 100% JPG. I also apply a Low Sharpen for Screen. Viewing the exported image in Windows Photo shows the image softer but then I'm zooming both in to about the same size. Looking at the export in PS, I actually get into pixilation.

So, I'd say get the image looking as sharp as you want from LR but be careful of having to enlarge it to compare sharpness with the original

Johan and Paul, thankfully you both have made really positive response, and suggested areas to address....thank you so kindly. Let me increase the 1000 pixel setting and check sharpening parameter As a beginning point for improvement of end product.

The increased pixel export sizing to 2360x1640 fixed up my previous undesirable end product. As that is my iPad resolution size. It also allows iPhone pictur display to be greatly improved over the 1000 long side selection.
PRB: ppi isn’t relevant, ..... well I’ll be.....by selecting the requested ( whatever x whatever ) parameters of preferences LR more or less adjusts ppi automatically? Thank y’all so kindly for the positive direction.

PRB: ppi isn’t relevant, ..... well I’ll be.....by selecting the requested ( whatever x whatever ) parameters of preferences LR more or less adjusts ppi automatically?
Not quite. You can put whatever you want into the "Resolution:" PPI box when exporting, and LR will simply write that number into the exported file. However, that number will not affect anything else in any way. So you might as well leave it at the default value of 300. And then not worry about it any longer. :)

PRB: ppi isn’t relevant, ..... well I’ll be.....by selecting the requested ( whatever x whatever ) parameters of preferences LR more or less adjusts ppi automatically?

Pixels per inch is relevant…when inches are relevant, which usually means print. When inches aren’t relevant, ppi isn’t relevant either.

For example, you originally specified 1000 px on the long side and 300 ppi. How many inches can you get out of 1000 px at 300 ppi? 1000/300, or 3 ⅓ inches. So 1000 px is 300 ppi only when it’s displayed at 3.333… inches.

If instead that image is viewed on screens that vary in size (various smartphones and tablets), it might never be shown exactly 3 ⅓ inches long. Instead, what matters is whether the image pixel dimensions meet or exceed the pixel dimensions of each screen. When the image pixel dimensions are lower than that of the display, it may not appear as sharp as expected. Like Johan said, the displays on nearly all current smartphones and tablets are much more than 1000 px wide.

What’s the ppi of the image on all of those different device screens? That won’t be a single number, because it depends on how wide the 1000 px image is shown on each different phone/tablet/laptop screen it’s viewed on. If a 1000 px image is displayed full screen on the 8.5-inch wide screen of the smaller iPad Pro, the image is about 118 ppi (1000/8.5), no matter what ppi you entered for export.

But if you turn around and want to print the photo in a family photo book, now inches are completely relevant, so ppi is too. If it has to look good printed at 6 inches wide at 300 ppi, then you do want to set up the export dimensions that way, and then — as long as it is placed on the print layout at 6 inches wide — it will print as expected. If it’s resized on the layout, it the ppi will change because the same number of pixels will be distributed across a different distance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back