• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Export to same folder as original

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobblers

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic version: 10.0
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I've got a series of butterfly photos saved as a folder for each species: e.g. Green Hairstreak. When I tweak one of them and tell it to Export to same folder as original, it doesn't do it: it saves it to the date of the photo, which is very unhelpful. How can I get it to do what I want, short of having to specify the folder each time? Thanks.

Solution
If you imported to date named folders and were working with subject named collections, you need to recognize the difference between a folder and a collection Could this be what is happening?
Folders are filesystem "buckets" related to the filesystem . Collections are virtual "buckets" with only members that you specifically assign. An exported image will be created in a file system folder, the same folder as the source if the checkbox is check to do so.
Hi. No, I have used collections enough to know they aren't involved. I've recently moved computer and had to set up Lightroom again, and I've a vague memory of a setting regarding using dates, but i thought that was for importing, not exporting. I played around a bit more...
Can you screenshot the Export dialog please? Also, what do you mean by the date of the photo; where is this in the folder structure?

When I tweak one of them and tell it to Export to same folder as original, it doesn't do it: it saves it to the date of the photo, which is very unhelpful.
If you imported to date named folders and were working with subject named collections, you need to recognize the difference between a folder and a collection Could this be what is happening?
Folders are filesystem "buckets" related to the filesystem . Collections are virtual "buckets" with only members that you specifically assign. An exported image will be created in a file system folder, the same folder as the source if the checkbox is check to do so.

Hi. No, I have used collections enough to know they aren't involved. I've recently moved computer and had to set up Lightroom again, and I've a vague memory of a setting regarding using dates, but i thought that was for importing, not exporting. I played around a bit more last night, and if the system can't find a date for the photo to which to send it, it uses today's date.
Hi Paul. Sorry to be dim, but how do i send a screenshot?
Hi Paul. Sorry to be dim, but how do i send a screenshot?
Aha - i've just spotted Attach files - I'll remember that for the next time. I've just solved it! I went through the process again and again, until I realised a) as part of the Import command, there is a box on the right which allows you to organise by original folders, by date or "into one folder"; re-setting that from date to original folder solved part of the problem. b) Still in the import box, the folder list on the right was automatically selecting the wrong folder for what I wanted; manually selecting the right one got me to where I want, though it's a pain if I've got to do that every time. I can function for now, and hopefully get my newsletter finished by the deadline..... Thanks for your time and i hope my explanation helps you help somebody else.

Solution
I'm pleased you solved it, and good to know how to add Screenshots for another time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back