• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • The November 2019 Lightroom updates are now available. Lightroom Classic includes the ability to export the same photos as multiple sizes/formats in a single export, content aware fill for panorama edges and more. It does require a catalog format upgrade and there are updated system requirements, so you may want to wait a few days before upgrading.
    Lightroom (cloud-based service) has export options (such as TIFF format, renaming and color space), custom sort order on the desktop, copy/paste to multiple photos on iOS and more.
    The Missing FAQ and Edit Like a Pro eBooks are already updated for the changes.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom 6 questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom 6 - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. When you upgrade to subscription, there's also a Lightroom Classic version available.

Export soft proof folders problem

Sumo

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
5.x
Lightroom Version
Lightroom 5
Operating System
Windows 10
I'm trying to export a folder to an external hard drive while leaving the soft proofed images on Lightroom.
However, all I've done so far is drag the folder to the external hard drive resulting in all images leaving the pc's hard drive.
Shouldn't I be able to leave a soft proofed folder available (for any future work) ?
I would be really grateful for help on this.
Thanks

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Could you please explain what you mean with "the soft proofed folder"? Soft proofing is a way to view an image as if it were printed, so displayed in the printers color profile. It does not change the image in any way.

You can edit an image while soft proofing it, and save this, but that creates a virtual copy. You can't move virtual copies to a different folder than the original they belong to.

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
When Soft Proofing is active, You also have the option to 'Create a Proof Copy', but this only creates a Virtual Copy- a preview that you can then edit to suit the printer profile, looking for out-of-gamet colors etc. But it is NOT a physical file in a folder that you can move. It is only another view of the same photo with different edits to suit a print.