• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Export slideshow as video

Status
Not open for further replies.

nanoose

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
LrC 10.4 (202108071231-af9219b9)
Operating System
  1. macOS 11 Big Sur
It has been a couple of years since i have tried to export a slideshow as a video because it was sooo frustrating. Ive tried again and it seems like nothing has changed. The export stalls after a few minutes. A quick internet search states that small images and small slideshows will go, but whats the point? Is this still a major issue that adobe has no interest in fixing? Im on an iMac running big sur 11.6, LrC 10.4. Lots of hard drive space. The slide show has 200 images and contains a few short movie clips and accompanying music. Yes the are some portrait images. Is this a no win situation still?

Lightroom creates a staging area of the exported images prior to stitching them together into a continuous video. This requires adequate working storage on your primary drive. You might not have enough free space on MacIntosh HD to stage the images. This is especially true when you include larger video files.
If that does not seem to be your problem then it may be the problem of trying to merge still photos and videos into one long video. Try compiling the video with just still images to see if you can be successfully without the added videos.

i have over 730 GB of space available, surely that is enough, but i will try your suggestion

It has been a couple of years since i have tried to export a slideshow as a video because it was sooo frustrating. Ive tried again and it seems like nothing has changed. The export stalls after a few minutes. A quick internet search states that small images and small slideshows will go, but whats the point? Is this still a major issue that adobe has no interest in fixing? Im on an iMac running big sur 11.6, LrC 10.4. Lots of hard drive space. The slide show has 200 images and contains a few short movie clips and accompanying music. Yes the are some portrait images. Is this a no win situation still?
I'm split between accepting that LR's not really a video production tool, and thinking that slideshow export should just work regardless of the slideshow's size. You seem to have noticed that some stalling seems to be caused by image orientation and crops, sometimes in conjunction with pan and zoom, so while you can limit the issue (eg exporting landscape orientation photos which have been cropped to portrait and then importing these JPEGs) but there isn't any obvious progress from Adobe in this area. So whenever I produce a slideshow from more than a few images, I might use LR to output movies with short sequences of images, but I do most of the the job outside.

given that Lr is not able to create the desired slideshow, i guess im left to export my images (with the post processing that i love about Lr) to create an acceptable slideshow with another application. Since im working on an iMac i will try to use ’Photo’ . What is the best way to export (or move) these photos (with the tweaks achieved with Lr) so that another application can be used to create the slideshow?

given that Lr is not able to create the desired slideshow, i guess im left to export my images (with the post processing that i love about Lr) to create an acceptable slideshow with another application. Since im working on an iMac i will try to use ’Photo’ . What is the best way to export (or move) these photos (with the tweaks achieved with Lr) so that another application can be used to create the slideshow?

I’d suggest that you export JPEGs and videos as you normally would and use Keynote (Mac PowerPoint equivalent) to create and automate your show. You can then save as a movie.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am fresh from a 3 hr session with LR slideshow module. Having satisfactorily created a couple of slideshows, I embarked on another. However, after several attempts when nothing seemed to happen, I decided to experiment with the number of slides, since there were more than in my previous two attempts. I got as far as 35 slides, before hitting the buffers (I’m not sure if this a pun?). During each process, I used Task Manager to monitor CPU and Memory usage and neither came close to be fully utilised. So I explored LR settings through Preferences. I noticed that under Performance, the video was set to 5Gb, I think. I changed the setting to do not limit and restarted LR. I managed to get up to 50 slides but that was it.

I began to think about a GPU, but most seem to be 1 – 2Gb, so I am not sure if that would help greatly.

Finally, I decided to try exporting all the Raw and DNG to jpg, saving them into the original folder, then using these to create the Slideshow. That seemed to work ok. But I have several folders much bigger and wonder how these will work out.

The downside is I end up with a lot of jpgs, but if I just wanted to copy my photos onto a USB stick to show on my TV, I would have to do export them as jpgs anyway. As it is, once I have created the Slideshow, I can delete the jpgs.

If all this seems longwinded, it appears that the Slideshow in mp4 format is significantly smaller than the collection of jpgs.

After I had written the foregoing, I dimly remembered being told that programmes are often limited to how much of the processor/RAM they can be allowed to use. A quick Google search led me to a page with these simple instructions:

Step 1: Open the Task Manager app on your Windows 10 computer. For this, press the CTRL + SHIFT + ESC keys on your keyboard.

Step 2: After opening Task Manager, go to the “Details Tab.”

Step 3: Now, right-click on the application that you want to allocate more RAM. In the context menu, hover to the ‘Set Priority’ and choose ‘High’ or ‘Above Normal’ based on the priority.

Step 4: Once you make the changes, you will be asked to confirm it. Do so by clicking the “Change Priority” in the confirmation box.

https://www.mobigyaan.com/allocate-more-ram-specific-app-windows-10

I did this and hey presto – it worked. I immediately exported the 86 Raw & DNG picture slideshow to mp4 that I had been struggling with. I have now done one with 310 pictures, resulting in a 1GB mp4 file, with no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back