• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • 18 October 2022 It's Lightroom update time again and there's a new AI-based Masking tools and a new Content-Aware Remove Healing tool, as well as smaller features, new cameras, lenses and bug fixes! See this blog post for Lightroom Classic and this blog post for the Lightroom Cloud Ecosystem changes.

Export or Print To file

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lightroom Version
Lr Classic 11.4.1
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
Hi
Have searched and but couldn't find it, so I thought I'd ask.
If I'm about to produce a file to take to a printer to get some prints made, should I be

a) Using the Export function under the file menu to create a full size TIFF or
b) Using the Print to file option under the Print tab?

I never print my own work and I quite like the white border that "Print to file" gives me (but won't use it if the image is not as good).

I'm printing at about 10x12ins.

Thanks in advance
Mike

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic
Depends on your print lab. If the lab accepts TIFF's then exporting a TIFF that would be best. If they take JPG's then unless you need a feature found in the Print module that is not found in the Export dialog, then export a JPG for them. However, if you need something in the print module, like a colored border or somesuch, then print to JPG in the print module.

Some users when creating files via export will size the output file to the exact number of pixels the print lab has available on thier printer so that the lab does not do any scaling. In my experience, this was useful a number of years ago when the SW at the labs was sketchy but these days, if you're using a decent lab, the scaling done by the lab is just as good as is done in LrC. Just make sure you give them enough pixels for whatever paper size you choose. I have found that half the prinatable number of pixels is usually Fine. So, for example, if your image is 4,000 x 5,000 pixels, and the printer at the lab prints at 300 dpi then you should be able to get a good print up tpo about 26" x 33"

Status
Not open for further replies.