• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Export of a new catalog

Status
Not open for further replies.

x Aperture

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Operating System:
Exact Lightroom Version (Help menu > System Info): Latest version of Mac OSX, Lightroom Classic CC.

Due to folder hierarchy naming problem I created an independant Lightroom catalog imported from the laptop along with all the image files. The files were at least three levels down in the hierarchy. I worked on the pictures and eventually graded them, from Reject to 3 Stars.

I then did a RM click on the active parent folder as I wanted to create a new catalog so that I could import this new catalog into the master catalog.

I imported the new catalog into the master catalog, the images appear to be OK but the ratings are missing, the history of changes to each image is missing. The images have the correct cropping.

So the question is should an exported catalog contain all the historical data showing all the work that has been done to the images?
and can this be imported into another catalog with all the editing information being retained?

It should contain all the metadata. However, when you import a catalog into your master catalog, and the imported catalog contains images that are already in that master catalog, you get a choice what to do with those metadata. Overwrite the metadata of the master, make a virtual copy of the metadata of the master, or ignore the new metadata. Maybe you selected some wrong option. I'm not 100% sure that the edit history should also come over. You may find only one history step: the catalog import. I can't check this because I regularly delete the history to keep my catalog lean.

Thank you -
However if on a trip one does some editing on the pictures on a laptop one would want all the edit activities transferred to the master catalog once on got home after copying them into the master catalog.

Thank you -
However if on a trip one does some editing on the pictures on a laptop one would want all the edit activities transferred to the master catalog once on got home after copying them into the master catalog.
Of course, and that is what happens when you import the catalog and use the correct settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back