• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Export LR Mobile Collection to Instagram or FB

Status
Not open for further replies.

RSK

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
It seems like the most basic of uses for LR Mobile, and yet, I can't seem to activate this function.

After I edit a photo shoot in LR on my desktop, I create Collections for Facebook and Instagram. What I want to do is go to that synced Collection on my iPhone or iPad and simply export to my preferred social media platform.

But there is no option to do this. Seems impossible. I have the latest versions of LR Mobile and FB/Instagram.

Thoughts?
Scott

Did you try pressing the "share" button? It's the one that looks like a little box with an arrow coming out the top. If you don't see Facebook/Instagram listed, you may have to scroll all the way to the right and press "More". That'll open a second dialog where you can choose which services are shown.

Thanks for the reply, I'm beginning to think something is wrong with my app. I can easily share one photo, just not a Collection. I don't have the "More" prompt as you mentioned above.

When I'm in the main LR Mobile view that shows all my Collections and tap on the 3 dot icon (...) next to my Collection I want to post and go to Share Collection, my choices are View On Web, Share Link, and Share (which apparently puts it out there globally because I get a little globe icon).

When I open the Collection I want to post and tap the Open icon you mentioned, I have the options of Share, Share Collection, and Open In. From there if I tap Share, it just shows the images with the word Share up top - there are no other steps. There is a Gear icon in the upper right, but that just provides share options in terms of Metadata. If I tap Share Collection, I'm back to my 3 options of View On Web, Share Link, etc. If I tap Open In, it just shows my images again as with Share. There is no prompt to select Instagram, FB, or any other outside App.

Ughhh...

I misunderstood your question. I thought you were trying to share an image from a synced collection. I don't know of a way to bulk share a collection.

When I open the Collection I want to post and tap the Open icon you mentioned, I have the options of Share, Share Collection, and Open In. From there if I tap Share, it just shows the images with the word Share up top - there are no other steps.
Tap on the photos to select them, then you should be able to tap the checkmark to show the other app like Instagram.

Thank you Victoria! That worked great.

As a follow up question, do you know why Collections on my iPhone/iPad don't reflect the custom order I put them in on my iMac? They can only sort by image capture time.

Thank you Victoria! That worked great.

As a follow up question, do you know why Collections on my iPhone/iPad don't reflect the custom order I put them in on my iMac? They can only sort by image capture time.
The concept of file "Order" is illusionary at best. Files on a a disk drive have no order. In fact parts of a file are not even contiguous. It is the app that displays the files that maintains an "order". If you look at a folder in Finder, you will see that the default order is by file name and that there are several characteristics that can be used to sort a folder of files. The Lightroom app supports a special "Custom" order, because it can maintain the custom sequence in the LR catalog database file. The apps found on your iPad/iPhone don't even offer a "custom" sort order, much less reach out into the LR catalog file on the computer and determine the "custom" order maintained ONLY there. If you want to sort image file in a particular fashion on the iPad/iPhone, you will need to take advantage of one of the sorting orders available on the iPad/iPhone. The easiest to manage is file name since it is universally available and often the default. To do this, you first need to manage the custom sort order in LR in the collection that is sync'd with Lightroom Mobile. Then in LR, you need to rename the files in an ascending file name sequence. That way when they arrive on the iPad/iPhone, they will be sorted in the filename order and the name order sequence will match the custom sequence found in the master LR catalog.

Thank you Victoria, I'm realizing I wasn't quite clear, I apologize.

My workflow is photographing an event at night, edit my images in LR on my iMac, then throw them into a Collection for outputting. Once I have them in a Collection, I custom sort the images to best tell the story of the event. It's this custom order that I export to JPEG to deliver to my client.

But what would make my life so much easier is if that same synced Collection in LR Mobile reflected the custom order I put it in with LR on my desktop. Because what I do next is post to Social Media the next day, and I would love to do this from my mobile device instead of needing to be at the Desktop. The custom order is key, but LR Mobile does not seem to have the ability to mimic that order, only by capture time, ascending or descending.

OK I guess I haven't looked at LR Mobile in a while. There are several characteristics to sort on now. Custom is one of them. The Lightroom Mobile default is Capture Time.
IMG_2150.PNG

Is that from an Android device? My iPhone/iPad doesn't have Custom Order as a selection.

How strange, here's what I get when I'm in a Collection and I hit the filter icon...

Attachments

• LR Mobile.PNG
    LR Mobile.PNG
    303.1 KB · Views: 448
I can't believe I didn't think to tap that icon. Thank you!

It seems like the most basic of uses for LR Mobile, and yet, I can't seem to activate this function.

After I edit a photo shoot in LR on my desktop, I create Collections for Facebook and Instagram. What I want to do is go to that synced Collection on my iPhone or iPad and simply export to my preferred social media platform.

But there is no option to do this. Seems impossible. I have the latest versions of LR Mobile and FB/Instagram.

Thoughts?
Scott

Just be careful if you care about quality. Ive noticed (for the past 6 or so months) that exporting directly from LRM to FB/Insta/Flickr gives a more compressed version, and sometimes its very noticeable. I think its down to how the IOS system works rather a LRM issue, but none the less, its an issue.
My workaround is to export the images to the photos app and then upload them using Safari to FB/Flcikr. This produces the best images. A bit of a pain though.

Thank you Dave, I've been using that same system. Some day, I hope that LR CC evolves to a more professional workflow.

Answering to the initial question: the best you can do is add a couple in a sequence if I recall well. What I often do is export to camera roll from LRCC/mobile, and then export from the camera roll to FB or Instagram. I have never seen the select all button to export on my mobile device... What does work is going to Facebook on your mobile and hit the photo button in "What's on your mind" section, which then lets you pick a lot of photo's in your camera roll or other album. The same for Instagram: you can go into the program, hit the little layered square icon, you can than select a batch of images.

Thank you for your response! Yes, I think the LR mobile app simply isn't capable of what I'd like it to do. If I could download a photo shoot to my computer, throw my faves into a collection, then go to my mobile device the next day and simply share that collection to FB or Instagram. Seems like an obvious workflow, maybe someday...

That is what I do now... Workflow on computer, then pick some and put them in collection and sync. Other times I sync the whole folder with the full shoot and cull on ipad. What I just tried is to put a collection on my Lightroom adobe web space, and from there I can export the whole collection to Facebook. That worked flawlessly... There is no export to Instagram button though... I guess you never see folders on Instagram. And you probably don't want to post 20 or 30 pics on Instagram in one go anyway, people can't keep up with that. Recap: collection-upload to Adobe webspace - export whole page from there to FB - done

Reactions: RSK
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back