• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Export Export is not correctly naming files.

Status
Not open for further replies.

clee01l

Lightroom Guru
Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Lightroom Version Number
LrC V11.2
Operating System
  1. macOS 12 Monterey
I have a file named "Z70_4290-Pano.dng" When I attempt to export the Name gets changed to "Z70_4290-Pano. dng.jpg". Further more when I attempt to give the exported file a custom name, it becomes "CustomName. dng.jpg". Other file types (tiff etc) exhibit the same issue. I have the same issue with other file types. I have restarted Lightroom Classic and I still see the same issue. Can anyone duplicate this error on a MacOS v12.2.1 LrC v11.2?

I have a file named "Z70_4290-Pano.dng" When I attempt to export the Name gets changed to "Z70_4290-Pano. dng.jpg".
There is a space in that second filename, "Z70_4290-Pano. dng.jpg" The space is after the first period.

The fact that the space is after the period may be causing Lightroom Classic to think that the "dng" that follows the space is not an extension and should therefore be preserved. It looks like the thing to do is find out where that space is being introduced, and delete it. If that space is not in the original filename, my guess is that it would be in the Filename Template Editor in the Export dialog box; look for a space around any tokens or characters in that editor.

Clee,

I can't replicate your problem (LrC 11.2 on Windows/10). I assume your export settings specify saving as a jpg and that you're not using the file rename feature in the export dialog. I tried Conrad's idea that a space after the dot but before the dng was the issue but when I replicated that scenario it worked correctly (the ". dng" was not included as part of the file name.

I'm wondering if the dot is not really a dot but some other value that just shows as a dot? Does the file name look correct in the Metadata panel (no extra spaces, has the correct extension, etc.)?

Dan

There is a space in that second filename, "Z70_4290-Pano. dng.jpg" The space is after the first period.

The fact that the space is after the period may be causing Lightroom Classic to think that the "dng" that follows the space is not an extension and should therefore be preserved. It looks like the thing to do is find out where that space is being introduced, and delete it. If that space is not in the original filename, my guess is that it would be in the Filename Template Editor in the Export dialog box; look for a space around any tokens or characters in that editor.
In the Lightroom Metadata panel the file name of every file shows correctly for every file in my catalog. If I open Finder, the name is correct there too. So the problem is not with the names as it appears on the file.

If I open the Export dialog, the example shown in the dialog has added a ". original file type" before the new ".Suffix". IOW "Z70_4290.NEF". becomes "Z70_4290. NEF.jpg". However I exported the file and the exported file gets assigned the correct name "Z70_4290.jpg". So this appears to be a bug in the dialog. I would just like to find an Mac User with LrC 11.2 to repeat the bug before I report it

I would just like to find an Mac User with LrC 11.2 to repeat the bug before I report it
I've tried several times with 11.2 on Big Sur, but it all works normally. Have you thought of trying a Prefs reset?

I've tried several times with 11.2 on Big Sur, but it all works normally. Have you thought of trying a Prefs reset?

It is on my list of things to try. Along with rebooting the computer

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What file naming template are you using on export? It sounds to me like something is off in the template.

I'm not using any naming template. In fact naming templates also produce the problem . The Problem is in the Export dialog. If I export, the exported file is named correctly. I have restarted with no change in the Export dialog. I have not as Jim reminded reset Preferences but that is next on my list of things to try. It is odd that this seems to be a bug in the dialog display only and yet no one on MacOS running v11.2 seems to be seeing this error.
1647788399650.png

It is odd that this seems to be a bug in the dialog display only and yet no one on MacOS running v11.2 seems to be seeing this error.
One more reason to place resetting the preferences at the top of the list of things to try. I would delete them, not use the key combo that resets them.

I'm not using any naming template. In fact naming templates also produce the problem . The Problem is in the Export dialog. If I export, the exported file is named correctly. I have restarted with no change in the Export dialog. I have not as Jim reminded reset Preferences but that is next on my list of things to try. It is odd that this seems to be a bug in the dialog display only and yet no one on MacOS running v11.2 seems to be seeing this error.
View attachment 18315
Well Resetting Preferences on restart corrected the issue.

One more reason to place resetting the preferences at the top of the list of things to try. I would delete them, not use the key combo that resets them.
What I've never understood is why the Preferences file corrects so many issues unrelated to the Preferences. I've looked at preferences files using a text editor and they usually never contain settings related in the slightest way to the problem

It is a mystery. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back