Export for PAL video

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatrickC

We're working on a video project which will make extensive use of stills.

Is there a standard format to export images to the PAL image size, bearing in mind that PAL pixels are not square?

Patrick Cunningham

This post here explains it pretty well:
http://lists.apple.com/archives/dvdlist/2''2/Sep/msg''261.html

To quote it:
"For 4:3 discs create the images in Photoshop at 768 x 576 pixels at 72 dpi.
Don't forget a 1'% title-safety. When finished resize the image to 72' X

For 16:9: create the image at 1'24 x 576 again at 72 dpi.
(1'% title-safety).
Resize to 72' x 576."

So, it appears that you should export to the first number from Lightroom and then open it in Photoshop (or something similar) and resize it to the second number to conform to the proper pixel aspect ratio.

Thanks for this, Brian.

I suppose I'm just spoilt! I do so much of my work in Lightroom these days that I was hoping there might be some export preset or plugin which would do it for me without having to resort to Photoshop. Not a huge problem, I'll set up an export preset to open in Photoshop and automate the process as far as possible.

It might be a useful feature for a future release though. At the moment there's no functionality in Lightroom to accommodate non-square pixels. I'm off to post a request......

Patrick Cunningham

Sure thing, glad it helped.

Definately an interesting feature request. I wonder if it's possible to accomplish through the API... as you mentioned, that sounds like a great opportunity for a plugin.

I make Pal slideshows and use a slideshow program. That deals with creating the correct aspect ration. I just export the images from LR to the maximum size

[quote author=Andrew Hayton link=topic=7472.msg51142#msg51142 date=12496'4115]
I make Pal slideshows and use a slideshow program. That deals with creating the correct aspect ration. I just export the images from LR to the maximum size
[/quote]

Proshow?

I use Photo2Movie by LR Graphics for the Mac. There is also Foto Magico too for the mac.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back