• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Library module Explicit Implicit Keywords

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Naylor

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic version: 8.3 [ 201905061635-edecdfdb ]
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
Is there a way to identify which images have parent keywords explicitly assigned when there are child keywords also assigned? I hope this makes sense.

I think your question could be interpreted in a couple of different ways, but assuming you really mean that you've discovered that one or more images have inadvertently had a parent keyword explicitly assigned as well as some of the child keywords, and you now want to identify those specific images....the easiest way is to use the Library filter, set the first column to Keywords, then click on the tiny little switch at the right edge of the Keyword column header. That then allows you to change the display order from the default "Hierarchical" to "Flat". In the "Flat" display, each keyword in the list is shown, irrespective of its hierarchical position, but more crucially the image count per keyword in that display only includes the explicitly assigned keywords. Thus clicking on the parent keyword with the wrongly directly assigned keywords will then populate the Grid with only those wrongly assigned images, allowing you to rectify the mistake.

Of course, if your question was asking something else, perhaps you could expand it a little.

Hi Jim. I'm trying that, but I can't see how that method is any different to what can be done in the Keyword List. With single child lists (ie Parent->Child), I can select the Parent and Car-A images, right click on Parent and delete from selected. That appears to work. THEN, I can still select the Parent and see all the child images (as I expect), BUT if there are deeper children (eg P->C1-C2), clicking on P reveals no images. This is a problem I've just discovered, but it deviates from my main problem...
Which is: How can I know a child has been assigned, before removing the parent. Please note, I'm not talking about just a few images - I have 25,000 images and 1,700 nested keywords. Most of which are wrong.
It's really difficult to write about this.

It appears some database corruption has occurred either during my efforts to change explicit keywords to implicit or at some time over the past few years. For example, If I create a smart object to search for all the images that don't contain a top level parent keyword, some that have that keyword are not found.

E.g. with "PEOPLE->Family->Pauline" most show up and some do not.

These 3 keywords are showing correctly in the Keywording and Keyword List panels
How is this possible? Has anyone else come across this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back