Existing Presets Disappeared

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version
Operating System
macOS 10.13 High Sierra
Hi

I have just completed the update to 7.3 for Classic and all my existing presets have disappeared including ones I have created myself and a very large number from various sources such as OnOne, etc.

Any ideas on how to get these back?

Thanks

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Quick update. I have recovered some by rechecking the Store presets in the catalog. Only some though, none of the OnOne presets have been recovered, so presuming I have to reinstall these.

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
OMG!!!!!! ALL MY CUSTOM EXPORTS HAVE DISAPPEARED TOO!!!!!!!!

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
Yeah, bit of a cock up.

I noted it said it couldn't find my custom colorchecker PROFILES, but they were still attached to some photos :/

If I hit reset it puts my custom profile back though!

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
OK, so I have unchecked the Store Presets in Catalog and now I have my exports back but still not the Develop presets so I am going to reinstall the presets.

Really annoying Adobe, thanks for the extra work.

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Adobe have resolved in a very convoluted way.

Check the Stored in Catalog option, no presets.
Close LR.
Copy the presets from the non catalog location to the catalog location.
Reopen LR, a conversion process takes place and presets appear.
Uncheck the Stored in Catalog option.
Close LR.
Reopen LR.

Seems a bit dubious to me but at least I didn't have to manually import all those presets.

donoreo

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
I manually imported mine. :(

Victoria Bampton

Lightroom Queen
Staff member
Administrator
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
CC Cloud
That's a bit bizarre, but I know the Store Presets with Catalog option is a bit messy at the moment. It should copy the files back and forth now, but I'm not convinced it's entirely stable.

donoreo

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
That's a bit bizarre, but I know the Store Presets with Catalog option is a bit messy at the moment. It should copy the files back and forth now, but I'm not convinced it's entirely stable.
In other words, Adobe released this too soon. It feel very Beta.

Victoria Bampton

Lightroom Queen
Staff member
Administrator
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
CC Cloud
Most of it's pretty solid, but I'd have held the presets changes back till the next release personally.

BYUGRL

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
6.x / CC 2015.x
Most of it's pretty solid, but I'd have held the presets changes back till the next release personally.
How do you "hold presets changes back"--I am wanting to upgrade but after reading all the issues I am rethinking--I am not tech savy and just want it to go smooth.
Thank god for your page is all I can say--I wish ADOBE would consider your kind of help--

JohanElzenga

Lightroom Guru
Staff member
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
How do you "hold presets changes back"--I am wanting to upgrade but after reading all the issues I am rethinking--I am not tech savy and just want it to go smooth.
Thank god for your page is all I can say--I wish ADOBE would consider your kind of help--
You can't hold back anything if you update. What Victoria means is that Adobe should have continued to have these new profiles in beta testing a bit longer, and not have introduced them already in this update, but in Lightroom Classic 7.4. There always is beta testing before something is introduced, but if you look at the number of issues that have surfaced since the introduction, then it does look like it was still rushed too much.

Zenon

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
I had 2 other glitches which Victoria helped solve. Thought it was good and then about an hour ago I realized all my presets did not appear. I keep them in the LR catalogue folder, not the system folder. I just moved them to the system folder and pointed LR there. Then I copied that folder and put it back to the original location, pointed LR there and they all came up.

This only happened on my iMac which has an HD drive. My MacBook Air with SSD did not suffer these issues. Both devices are set up the same way. Very odd.

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
In other words, Adobe released this too soon. It feel very Beta.
The Store Presets with catalog option never seemed to be very well implemented. I had several LR plugins that wouldn't work if that option was selected. Now it seems this latest upgrade can't handle it either.

It feels as if some programmer implemented this feature one day but forgot to tell anyone else on the team, which is why the rest of the code can't seem to figure it out ;)

Victoria Bampton

Lightroom Queen
Staff member
Administrator
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
CC Cloud
I had several LR plugins that wouldn't work if that option was selected.
That was just because the plug-ins were copying their files to the global location. Moving them to the catalog location would have worked.

But yes, store presets with catalog has always been messy. I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't disappear at some point, but then you're left with the problem of how to handle a catalog on multiple computers.

Laura Shoe

Lightroom Guru
Staff member
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
I have a client who just upgraded from Lightroom 6 to Lightroom Classic 7.4. She stores her presets with the catalog. She received the message that her presets had been successfully converted to XMP. The old ones in her catalog folder have the symbols before the names, and the converted XMP files are present in the Camera Raw folder in AppData. However, none of these user or 3rd party presets show in the Presets panel in Lightroom. I'm not clear if the answer to getting them to show up is in this thread - can someone clarify this for me? Thank you!

Jim Wilde

Lightroom Guru
Staff member
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
Laura, have you had your client try unchecking the "Store with Catalog" option, just to see if the Develop Presets appear in the Presets panel? If you did, what happened, or if you didn't it might be worth a try. If they then do turn up, you should then be able to check the option again, and this time LR should copy the presets to the catalog location. That was my understanding about how it should work, though I thought that the copy would be done immediately.

I-See-Light

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
Laura, You may be aware, but, there have been quite a few reports of people updating to v7.4 without a subscription and finding commonly that the Preset system does not work in various ways. Their System Info looks like this-
Lightroom Classic version: 7.4 [ 1176617 ]
License: Perpetual

Your first question might be- "Check the System Info"
For example- See the last reply post by Johan Elzenga here-
7.3 Presets converted and moved - not in the re... | Adobe Community

Laura Shoe

Lightroom Guru
Staff member
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Thank you, @Jim Wilde and @I-See-Light! I'm sure that she has a subscription; I'll have her try unchecking and rechecking the Store Presets option.

Laura Shoe

Lightroom Guru
Staff member
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
That did the trick, @Jim Wilde! Thanks again.