Status
Not open for further replies.

p0rk_ch0p

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
6.x
Hi Everyone,

I am currently trying to ween myself off using 'scene mode'. (e.g. Landscape, Food, Sport, etc) I've started to take pictures of the same subject using manual settings and 'scene mode'.

After importing the files into lightroom and looking at the metadata in the library model and I cannot tell if the pictures were shot with manual or 'scene mode'. When i view the same files on the camera it's crystal clear how the photo was shot.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for this information?

Lightroom 6.0
Camera: Nikon D7100
Lens: 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6G

Thanks but i was hoping to be able to view this information from within lightroom.

Thanks but i was hoping to be able to view this information from within lightroom.
If by Scene Mode you mean In Camera Settings like "Portrait", "Party/Beach", "Sunset " etc., these are Aperture/Shutterspeed/ISO and focus settings that the camera is set to automatically. I do not believe these are stored in the EXIF. And if they should be stored these names will be found in the large "Makers Notes" field which LR does not parse. You can view the Aperture/Shutterspeed/ISO settings that were used in the Metadata panel under Exposure and ISO Speed Rating.
If you are thinking of Nikon's Picture Controls (Landscape, Neutral, Portrait, Vivid, etc), these are in camera development settings that do not get applied to RAW NEFs. Lightroom can emulate these in the Develop Camera Calibration section.

Getting away from full auto is an important step in moving from taking pictures to capturing photographs There are three Settings that you will use to get the correct exposure:
  1. Auto Aperture: You choose the shutter speed for the scene and perhaps the ISO. The camera finds the correct aperture for a correct exposure.
  2. Auto Shutter: You choose the aperture for the scene and perhaps the ISO. The camera finds the correct shutter speed for a correct exposure.
  3. Full Manual: You choose the aperture, shutter speed for the scene and perhaps the ISO. The Camera built in meter will give you an indication of when the image will be under, over or correctly exposed
It would be desirable to search You Tube videos for the D7100 settings and setup. Also a more general google search for techniques for shooting "Portrait", "Landscape", "Party/Beach", "Sunset " etc. For example if you want to stop a hummingbirds wing in motion you will need a very fast shutter speed. If you are shooting evening shots without flash you will want a large aperture (small numbers), a fast ISO and if you are hand holding the camera, a shutter speed that is faster than 1/60s

I do not believe these are stored in the EXIF.

That's the reason why I asked TO to check exif data with proper tool. If this information is in we can consider LR plugins which are able to read/use the filed.

I downloaded Nikon's ViewNX-i and all of the information is in there. It has to be stored in the makernotes. Any plugins you can recommend?

See Wernfried's answer above.

Any plugins you can recommend?
Since the structure of the Makers Notes field is unique and specific to Each Manufacturer and each camera model, it is not realistic to produce a plug in to parse these fields. While your camera might be popular today, there are probably very few users that would even want this information.
These D7100 Scene modes do not even exist on my D810.
As I said earlier. the Scene Modes are in camera instructions to Set the Shutter speed, Aperture and ISO so that an unsophisticated photographer can get a reasonably good photo under extreme conditions that can be described in a few (Scene) words. If you want to learn what those settings are or should be, then take some classes either online or via your local camera club or similarly offered training. Nothing works better than getting experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back