• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Exclamation Marks ... Can't Resolve

stephen

Lightroom Version
Classic CC
Operating System
macOS 10.14 Mojave
I have loaded Lightroom Classic CC on my new iMac.

I had my current photograph selection of 43,000 photos on an external disk. I plugged this into the iMac and used Finder to copy all the folders to the iMac. Then went into Lightroom CC and used Import to bring all the files in from Pictures>Folders. Went perfectly, all photos there, complete with metadata and keywords.

Older photographs are on a separate disk. I followed the same process, transferred photos from the disk to the iMac and then imported with Lightroom. All good.

BUT. When I unplug the older disk from the iMac, all the photographs then have an exclamation mark in the top right corner. If I right click each folder and try to link to the corresponding folder in Pictures>Folders on the iMac, the photos are greyed out. I can’t link to them. So I have 33,000 photos that only work when the disk is plugged in. I need to link to the originals, as it took me a long time to keyword 33,000 photos.

The same problem doesn’t occur when I unplug the newer disk, the 43,000 are still there.

Any help really appreciated.

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic 7

stephen

I moved the folders from the external disk to folders in Pictures on the iMac, but even though I then import to LR from the Pictures folder on the iMac, it gives me this problem. I've looked at the article and still can't see what I have done wrong.

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
When you imported from the Pictures folder, did you check the ‘Add’ option at the top? That imports the images without moving or copying them. Perhaps you chose ‘Copy’ by mistake, and had the external disk selected as destination...