Excellent Experience with New Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stanley J

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
I had a late 2012 iMac with 16 g of memory. Since upgrading through the various versions of El Capitan I had less than satisfactory experiences with LR launch times. Sometimes taking up to a minute. Had scoured the web and tried every possible remedy with very mixed results and everything I tried degraded over a few days and subsequent launches.

Last week my hard drive died!!!!

Rather than replace the drive I decided to trade in the old iMac for a new(late 2015) 5K retina display, 1TB SSD and 8 g of memory.

#1.) First time using the Time Machine back up to restore anything and it worked perfectly.

#2.) LR launch times are now consistently around 10 seconds.....this is just a joy!!!!

#3.) The retina display is a stunning.

#4.) 8g of memory seems to be more than ample in this new configuration for all LR functions. Much faster than the previous Mac.

Thought I would post for those who may wondering about upgrading their iMac.

My 2008 3 GHz Mac Pro 3.1 with a 480 GB SSD and 16 GB RAM opens Lightroom in 30 seconds, so not worth the cost of upgrading to me since another 20 seconds not significant. My
ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB also makes editing in LR fast. I also use my Mac for video editing using Premiere Pro- rending is a bit slow but again acceptable for me after looking at the cost to upgrade. I never had any issues with Time Machine.

I have had two time capsules fail. I don't use them anymore. The big selling point was server grade hard drives. It at best is questionable as no standard exists for it.

I would not count on it as a sole source for backups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I,m not sure we talking about the same backups. Maybe you're referring to time capsules on your Windows 10 computer? I use a separate internal HD in my Mac Pro for Apple's Time Machine but I also have a SATA bootable copy of my SSD. So it the TM backup fails then I still have another drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back