• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Error Message: You will not be able to make adjustments to the photo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

defram

Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 11 Big Sur
Hi. Recovered image files from deleted hard drive.

- Imported a sampling of images (100) into a new catalog in order to test.
- Receiving this message "Lightroom has encountered problems reading this photo. You will not be able to make adjustments to the photo."

Looking for suggestions.

Are these raw or jpeg (or tiff) images? And have you tried to read them in any other programs or browsed them from your desktop?

--Ken

Hi Ken -

a) DESCRIPTION
These DNG files were recovered via Data rescue. I've viewed them in Bridge and Photoshop these are all labeled as DNG files (currently) though there are tifs that I haven't gotten to yet. Thumbnails mostly look OK.

Some of the files when I opened in Photoshop are corrupted like the example below (photo 1).
They import into Lightroom with the error "Lightroom has encountered problems reading this photo" but the THUMBNAIL looks perfect. When i click on them in the Develop mode, the develop options are grayed out and inaccessible (photo 2 & 3).

b) LIGHTROOM
I'm not sure what to do in order to get tens of thousands of these files into Lightroom and be able to edit them... or even if this is possible at all.

Ugh. :(

Attachments

• test-T0x0-03377.jpg
    test-T0x0-03377.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 214
  • Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 10.02.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 10.02.31 PM.png
    205.7 KB · Views: 224
  • Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 10.03.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 10.03.56 PM.png
    999.4 KB · Views: 228
Before you import them, I think that you are going to need to figure out which ones are corrupt, and which are okay. If they were originally saved in DNG format, and have their original file names, then I would check to see if they are corrupted or not. It may be possible that the embedded preview may be readable, but that actual file may be corrupted. Have you checked the file sizes of the recovered files. Any file that is substantially smaller than normal may be sign of a corrupted file. did the Data rescue folks give you any indication of how easy or difficult it was to rescue the files?

--Ken

There are literally 100,000 files so this is going to be a process. I wish there was a way to automate. There probably is...

NONE of the files have their original name. MANY of the files were DNG or AWR. Fewer tif and jpg.
There are many files that are +/- 100KB where I know these are obviously corrupted. The others are the correct sizes (or so it would seem).

Thoughts?

Dan

There are literally 100,000 files so this is going to be a process. I wish there was a way to automate. There probably is...

NONE of the files have their original name. MANY of the files were DNG or AWR. Fewer tif and jpg.
There are many files that are +/- 100KB where I know these are obviously corrupted. The others are the correct sizes (or so it would seem).

Thoughts?

Dan
For now, triage. Focus on the ones that seem to be the correct size. Put aside the ones that are +/- 100kb for now. They may not be salvageable.

--Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back