Error message: "An error occurred when attempting to change modules"

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Skylark

After replacing my failing primary hard drive and restoring its contents to the new drive, when I attempt to open a catalog in LightRoom the message "An error occurred when attempting to change modules".

I haven't been able to find any information on this error by searching the forum. Can anyone enlighten me regarding how to fix this problem?

I'm using LightRoom 1.4.1.

Yippeee!!!!

And Beat, don't worry, it's not a criticism of the Nik filters themselves.... but there definitely seems to be a clash between already-installed Nik filters and the LR installer when installing LR for the first time. It looks like some kind of permissions problem and happens on both platforms. It's on my testing list to get reproducible steps, and then hopefully they'll be able to fix it at last.

[quote author=Victoria Bampton link=topic=8227.msg7599'#msg7599' date=1286961416]
Yippeee!!!!

And Beat, don't worry, it's not a criticism of the Nik filters themselves.... but there definitely seems to be a clash between already-installed Nik filters and the LR installer when installing LR for the first time. It looks like some kind of permissions problem and happens on both platforms. It's on my testing list to get reproducible steps, and then hopefully they'll be able to fix it at last.
[/quote]

Never mind, Victoria, I neither have shares of Nik Software nor am I emotionally attached to them. I just thought the statement needs to be put in perspective a little bit.

Beat

Hi,
I'm new here. I just downloaded the LR3 trial and received the error message: An error occurred when attempting to change modules. So I used appzapper to remove LR3, I could not find the LR3 uninstaller. Then I repaired permissions and removed the Nik complete collection plugins that I had installed for Aperture using the Nik uninstall program. With all of that done I re-downloaded LR3 and tried the install again. Still the same message. I read through the posts but am unsure what to try next. Can anyone offer help? :(

Yeah, no worries John, and welcome to the forum!.

Easiest option is to create a clean user account and install/open LR in that account. It should open ok in that account.

If/when it does, grab the Macintosh HD/Users/[your user]/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom folder, copy it somewhere that's shared between both accounts.

Switch back to your main account and copy that folder into that same location in the other account.

LR should then hopefully work. Shout if it doesn't!

:)Victoria, thanks for the tip. I now have the trial version of LR running on my main user account. Don't know if you use Nik software or not? I do. Just downloaded the new HDR Efex Pro plugin for Lightroom and when I try to use it I get "launching external application failed". The a crash report appears for the Nik product. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling several times. Any ideas?
Thanks!!
BTW. How do I easily find my posts? I'm sure I'm missing something.

Finding your posts: Click your user ID there at the upper left of your post, which will take you to your Profile page. At the top of the left hand frame, 2nd down is 'Show Posts'.

Hey John, how are you liking the Nik HDR software? I am thinking of getting it; thanks for mentioning it. Have you tried others? Since it's off-topic to THIS post, I created another post, so please answer there! thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back