• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Enhanced Search Features

Status
Not open for further replies.

iSeek

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
I've been trying to track down discussion of the "Best Photos" feature that's in some LR products. If I search the website or forum for Best Photos or "Best Photos", it doesn't look for that phrase, but for one or both words somewhere in the page/post. That hits a lot of unrelated content.

I'd like to see a more full-featured search functionality for both the site and the forum. For example
  • a dialog that allows searching for any or all words, or for a phrase
  • a dialog that allows searching anywhere or only in the post title
  • boolean syntax, like "Best Photos" AND "Best Shots"
Thanks for the consideration.

Yeah, the forum software's search facilities are far more limited than I'd like. A google search like that is far more accurate. Best Photos is also in our Edit Like A Pro book that covers the cloud ecosystem.

Some sites build their site search using Google (the search page says 'powered by Google' or similar), presumably they invisibly use the site: command. There is little point in trying to create a search engine that is in the league of Google's search engine. Perhaps you could mention the Google site: command under the advanced search options? I don't know what rules Google has for using their search engine.

Still, ask Google, and here it is: Add custom search to your site - Programmable Search Engine Help

Hmmm, thanks, I'll look into that. Won't be immediate but I've added it to a list!

Done! I've added a Google Site Search (ready filled in with your search criteria) link at the top of the search results for the forum and on the blog.

Done! I've added a Google Site Search (ready filled in with your search criteria) link at the top of the search results for the forum and on the blog.
Hi Victoria
Ah, I see how you have done it, search for something (has to work) and then the Google option comes up. My first few searches were rejected as too common or too short.
Is there a way of adding the same link to the 'something went wrong' page?
Cheers

What were the search terms you used? I'll give it a try

I can't get the search terms when it errors, but I have linked to Google Site Search.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back