• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Export Emailing pictures are inline not attachments?

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Gordon

Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Eight and up to date!
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
I need to email pictures to someone on a PC. My usual email app on my Mac is Mail and it is notorious for sending 'attachments' in-line. I've tried sending using LR and my own SMTP settings (so not Mail) but that message turned up with the photo "in-line", not as an attachment. From the email headers:

content-description: _A6B7771.jpg
content-transfer-encoding: BASE64
content-disposition: inline; filename="_A6B7771.jpg"
content-type: image/jpg; name="_A6B7771.jpg"

Whereas an attached image looks like this using a different email app:

Content-Type: image/jpeg;
name="5414.jpg"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment;
filename="5414.jpg"

Can I make LR send pictures as attachments somehow? (The alternative email app which does send attachments isn't an option.)

Thanks!

Hi David, sorry for the delay in replying to your thread. There isn't a setting in Lightroom for that purpose, and in both of my tests, I get the same results as you.

I think the result will be the same but I'd like to try using Outlook to send. I only have Mail listed as an app on my Mac in the 'Email Photos...' window. Is this the only option on a Mac or can I set Lightroom to use Outlook (or any other email app) on the Mac?

I don't think they updated support for Outlook on Mac. AFAIK, Apple Mail is the only third party client on Mac.

You could potentially try exporting to a specific folder from LR rather than an email, and then use something like Automator or Hazel to attach photos dropped into that folder to an email automatically though. It could be worth testing if you need to do it regularly.

Thanks Victoria. My solution is to use Outlook and have Photo Mechanic send the email, which it does well. I process in LR and save the JPEGs to the same folder as the originals (but in a sub folder), then email them from there using PM. I then have to delete the un-needed JPEGs. The advantage of using LR to email would be the JPEGs would never be on my Mac.

Its a horrible system and there are much better ways of delivering pictures than email . But...

For information, Thunderbird is a mail client and runs on PC, MacOS, Linux, Linux 64bits.
It is developed by the same foundation as Firefox (Mozilla), excellent program !
It uses real attachments.
Bernard

For information, Thunderbird is a mail client and runs on PC, MacOS, Linux, Linux 64bits.

Yes, I've even recommended it to others myself. The problem is with the developers at Adobe and Camerabits who need to update their apps to use other mail clients. Which isn't happening any time soon.

Thunderbird does work as an email client for Lightroom-Classic v8.2.1 in Windows-10.
I just tested-
Selected photo, email photo..., The [From:] field shows 'Mozilla Thunderbird' as the email preset, but strangely the [Attached File: ] box appears empty although when I click [Send] the Thunderbird opens a 'write' dialog showing the photo IS attached.
The photo is 'Attached' in the delivered email sent to my webmail box at outlook.com (hotmail). It does display in the email viewed in Thunderbird.

On Windows, they're using the standard protocols, but they had to manually code the Mac ones. There may be better default share options in macOS now, but they haven't had cause to revisit email.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back